• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Irrigation Syringe.. I think I messed up!

M

marcus

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out about 5 days ago now and was given the syringe to use to clean the socket. I did as instructed.. I thought, and attempted to insert it into the socket.

I should mention both bottom sockets didn't look like sockets anymore. There was no hole.. they were covered completely by something that looked gray/black/white. Anyway, I went onward and tried to insert it.. and then I began irrigating. Immediately, I tasted blood. I spit out a chunk of something that looked like it was from horror show. After a quick gush of blood it slowed down.

A day later.. there is no pain at all, but the hole is now exposed and look dark, maybe red or black. I occasionally still see blood in my saliva, but it's a very small amount. I didn't irrigate the other socket after this. Did I knock the blood clot out? If I'm experiencing no pain, should I do anything? Was this gray mass supposed to come out?

I've doubled up my salt water mouth washes in the mean time (trying to get at least 6 times in a day).

Thank you for reading any advice or experience you can share.

I wish I could help you. But The opposite happened with me. Today is day 12 post extraction. My socket was pitch black until now, no pain. But I ate rice today thinking I would be fine, got a grain stuck in there. Removed it by swishing salt water and using the irrigation syringe with a gentle nudge. A grain came out.

However now my socket does not look black anymore. I can see the base of the socket and it is grey/white. What did I do? Did I lose the clot? So scared about getting a dry socket.

I have heard the white stuff is granulation tissue and the black stuff is congealed blood. But I don't know anything for sure. I am freaking out. Arghhhh.

So, I do think I dislodged part of my clot by using the syringe. I have no idea why the advice online is to "insert" it. Anyway, I never got a dry socket. I did see an uptick in blood in my saliva though, sometimes seemed like a lot after eating.. but it always stopped.

I think you're fine. I get food back there, wash it out and sometimes I feel like it's black.. sometimes white. I don't think there is a chance for dry socket this far out. I'd say keep brushing flossing and using the syringe when necessary. As long as there is no blood and no pain, I wouldn't worry too much.

Back