• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper Tooth Extracted. Scared.

L

Lightside

Wondering if anyone could help me or relate some information on a similar experience.

I saw a dentist this week (Tuesday) for a tooth extraction of the furthest back molar on the upper jaw. It all went ok and was sent home but then couldn't get the bleeding to stop. Switched to a tea bag and the suction started making the blood flow out my nose. Obviously I had a sinus perforation so I went back and he put in more stitches, took some tissue from the back of my throat and closed the hole. Out of nowhere he decided to use more numbing agent for whatever reason to help with pain? even though I didn't ask for it. So perhaps a hematoma from injection?

However, after all of this (2nd night) my cheek puffed out like a hamster and had severe throat swallowing pain. At first I thought there was an infection but I am starting to think the dentist hit a nerve or something with the numbing meds. My gums and back of upper throat on the right are now purple/yellow where the tooth was extracted.. Cheek is still somewhat swollen and feels puffy on that site of my gums/jaw. I am worried because it's now Friday (3 days after Tuesday) and it still feels numb and puffy.

Had a temp of 99.8-100.1 on the 2nd day and went to ER. ER doctor said it was inflammation and told me to continue the antibiotics. Dentist said he was surprised to see my face swollen as he expected more of that on the inside but said I'd be fine. Whole thing has been stressful and it's hard to eat with this swollen puffy cheek. Anyone had something similar? should I be concerned? Already been back to this dentist 3 times. I'm 33 btw.

Thank you everyone

Last edited:
Re: Tooth Extraction. Scared.

I'm sorry you are going through this Lightside. :shame: I can't completely relate but I did have work done involving an extraction, bone grafting and stitches and I can say that my cheek and jaw felt swollen and puffy for a number of days afterwards. (At least 4 or 5) While I can understand being worried, it sounds as though you have done all the right things in seeing a doctor when you had a fever and the dentist to follow up. The fact that they are not overly concerned is a good sign so I'd say continue with the antibiotics and give it another couple of days to settle down. (I'm not a dentist though so if someone with more knowledge has a different answer I hope they will chime in.)

Of course if you have any additional concerning symptoms you may want to have it checked out again. I'm hopeful that you are just healing slowly due to the level of work that was done and that you will soon find improvement in the swelling and how you are feeling.:thumbsup:

Best wishes for continued and quicker recovery!!! :)
Takingflight

Re: Tooth Extraction. Scared.

I'm sorry you are going through this Lightside. :shame: I can't completely relate but I did have work done involving an extraction, bone grafting and stitches and I can say that my cheek and jaw felt swollen and puffy for a number of days afterwards. (At least 4 or 5) While I can understand being worried, it sounds as though you have done all the right things in seeing a doctor when you had a fever and the dentist to follow up. The fact that they are not overly concerned is a good sign so I'd say continue with the antibiotics and give it another couple of days to settle down. (I'm not a dentist though so if someone with more knowledge has a different answer I hope they will chime in.)

Of course if you have any additional concerning symptoms you may want to have it checked out again. I'm hopeful that you are just healing slowly due to the level of work that was done and that you will soon find improvement in the swelling and how you are feeling.:thumbsup:

Best wishes for continued and quicker recovery!!! :)
Takingflight

Thank you for taking the time to reply. My right cheek has been swollen for 3-4 days now. I suppose it's going to take time and I am being slightly impatient. I've heard back molars..especially upper..take time and are difficult. I just can't understand why the dentist said not to use salt water yet and not use warm compresses. I've just been using cold packs and taking Motrin for pain. I've been monitoring my temp for the past day or two and it's remained normal. Can you still have an infection without a temperature? I've been on Amoxicillin.

I wanted to ask as well. Is it normal to have this sort of tingling deep pocket pain in the tooth? It can't be dry socket because he stitched it up. Unless it can still happen?

Last edited:
Back