• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why are my teeth sensitive to Listerine Whitening Mouthwash

S

SapphireOwl

Never had an issue with tooth sensitivity, even used one of those Crest at-home whitening kits a couple years ago without problem. Just tried the Listerine Whitening Mouthwash and not only does it taste disgusting, I felt a pang of tenderness/sensitivity along my gums and a few of my teeth in various spots. I used regular Listerine mouthwash without any problems. Is this normal? Should I stop, or will I get used to it? Again, I used teeth-whitening strips just fine before, so I don't see why fluoride-type ingredients would be an issue now.

Re: Why are my teeth sensitive to Listerine Whitening Mouthwash?

I don't know why it happens, but it happens to me too, I can't use any product that has "whitening" on the label or I have horrible sensativity for a while. I think it accents any weak spots in your enamel, but I'm not sure. Same thing happens if I eat too much citrus fruit. I find that using sensodyne (or any "enamel repairing") toothpaste it helps my teeth feel better. I personally feel whitening agents/chemicals are straight up bad for your teeth, but I'm no dentist.

Re: Why are my teeth sensitive to Listerine Whitening Mouthwash?

Never had an issue with tooth sensitivity, even used one of those Crest at-home whitening kits a couple years ago without problem. Just tried the Listerine Whitening Mouthwash and not only does it taste disgusting, I felt a pang of tenderness/sensitivity along my gums and a few of my teeth in various spots. I used regular Listerine mouthwash without any problems. Is this normal? Should I stop, or will I get used to it? Again, I used teeth-whitening strips just fine before, so I don't see why fluoride-type ingredients would be an issue now.

Hi you don't mention that you are phobic/nervous about visiting the dentist. This forum is for people that are nervous about seeing a dentist and need support and encouragement in making an appointment and getting continued treatment.

The dentists on here are working dentists and give their time freely and are generous in coming on to help where they can without seeing someone.

If you are nervous about treatment then please let us know and we can offer you support and encouragement :)

Back