• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Here we go! D day next wednesday!

M

Matt R73

I told my parents a couple of months ago about my badly broken molars and how extreme my phobia has got. My mum did some research of local dentists and told me Saturday she has booked me in for Wednesday 24th. I suffer from pretty severe generalized anxiety disorder, which has stopped me visiting a dentist for around 12 years apart from a visit nearly 4 years ago when I shook badly all over including my mouth and the dentist laughed at me. Already I feel sick with the churning stomach and lots anxiety symptoms and it's only for the dentist to have a look. I know I will need lots of work! My Mum has said she wants to come with me.

My main concerns:
Trapped in the chair.
Making a fool of myself through shaking again.
I think I would like my Mum to come but I'm 43.

I am going next Wednesday too! I have put it off for so long and like you have had bad experiences in the past - I am the same age as you and am taking my husband! SO if you need support I would say take whoever you need

Don't feel silly, take who ever you want with you. It's about what makes YOU comfortable enough to get the treatment you need.

I promise the appointment will not be as bad as you think. People like us with anxiety, tend to build up these terrible images in our head of us panicking and making a fool out of ourselves but we never do. It will be fine I promise and you will feel sooooo glad you went.

I have several broken molars that I let go for years, dealing with infection after infection until finally, I had two teeth get infected that would not get better. I was terrified leading up to the extraction day and then it was over in two minutes. There was nothing to it and no need for me to have been so afraid. But that's anxiety for you. I go in tomorrow morning to have my first of two wisdom teeth out and even though I just went through it with the others I am still very nervous. But I know I will be okay and in the end it's all worth it for my health.

I am going next Wednesday too! I have put it off for so long and like you have had bad experiences in the past - I am the same age as you and am taking my husband! SO if you need support I would say take whoever you need

Thanks for the reply purplelynn. The wait is a nightmare isn't it rrrrrrrrrr! I've just read your post in the support section and it's a shame that you couldn't make your appointment yesterday. Do you many problems with your teeth? I hope you don't have broken ones like me.

Don't feel silly, take who ever you want with you. It's about what makes YOU comfortable enough to get the treatment you need.

I promise the appointment will not be as bad as you think. People like us with anxiety, tend to build up these terrible images in our head of us panicking and making a fool out of ourselves but we never do. It will be fine I promise and you will feel sooooo glad you went.

I have several broken molars that I let go for years, dealing with infection after infection until finally, I had two teeth get infected that would not get better. I was terrified leading up to the extraction day and then it was over in two minutes. There was nothing to it and no need for me to have been so afraid. But that's anxiety for you. I go in tomorrow morning to have my first of two wisdom teeth out and even though I just went through it with the others I am still very nervous. But I know I will be okay and in the end it's all worth it for my health.

Thanks AbbyH85. Well done it sounds like your making great strides getting through your treatment :)
I've just got to get through next week then sit back and relax before anything elseo_O

Thanks for the reply purplelynn. The wait is a nightmare isn't it rrrrrrrrrr! I've just read your post in the support section and it's a shame that you couldn't make your appointment yesterday. Do you many problems with your teeth? I hope you don't have broken ones like me.

Not sure what state they are in to be honest - I know there are some broken , several missing and something really weird with my front teeth but need to tackle it a bit at a time, yes the wait is a problem but am trying not to think about it at the moment - would be easier if I was at work - too busy to dwell on things being at home makes it worse

Not sure what state they are in to be honest - I know there are some broken , several missing and something really weird with my front teeth but need to tackle it a bit at a time, yes the wait is a problem but am trying not to think about it at the moment - would be easier if I was at work - too busy to dwell on things being at home makes it worse

If you don't mind me asking :) several missing? Fallen out on their own or broken off?

Regards
Matt

So I went. I was in such a state the few days before my appointment, so I phoned the dentist to say could I just have a chat and meet the dentist and was told no problem. Before going I took some diazepam and did manage to have a full exam and x ray in the end. The outcome was 4 extractions (all molars so not bothered), 1 filling, 2 old fillings replaced and a scale and polish. I was told my gums are ok but did have some recession I never heard him calling out anything other than 2s when testing my gum pockets.

I left full of confidence and a date 4 weeks later to extract 2 molars first. This date is now looming for 22/9 and my anxiety is unbearable and has been for about the last week. During my exam the dentist did offer to refer me for sedation or GA. I'm now not sure weather to explore these avenues, as it's still over a week away and I'm a mess already and don't want to cancel last minute. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well done for going to that appointment! That's a good step :)

Honestly, just because you're nervous as anything *now* isn't always a sign of how bad the appointment itself will be. IV sedation has a good track record with phobic patients, and GA ofc works because it knocks you out completely :p though I tend to think of GA as a last resort, as do most dentists. If you want to try sedation then there's nothing stopping you if your dental practice offers them.

The wait is probably the worst part for anxiety sufferers though. I've been there! Do you think you would be less anxious if you knew you would be getting sedation during the appointment?

Well done for going to that appointment! That's a good step :)

Honestly, just because you're nervous as anything *now* isn't always a sign of how bad the appointment itself will be. IV sedation has a good track record with phobic patients, and GA ofc works because it knocks you out completely :p though I tend to think of GA as a last resort, as do most dentists. If you want to try sedation then there's nothing stopping you if your dental practice offers them.

The wait is probably the worst part for anxiety sufferers though. I've been there! Do you think you would be less anxious if you knew you would be getting sedation during the appointment?

Thanks for replying Sevena:)
The practice offers sedation but only privately as it's a private/NHS practice. He would have to refer me elsewhere. I spoke with my GP today and he prescribed me more diazepam. I'm not sure what I want to do and how to deal with it the anxiety is so intense. Being a anxiety sufferer you think I would be used to it by now.:dunno:

Good luck Matt hope all goes well.

Still not had mine out yet, got a date through to see a consultant about a month ago, that's on the 13th October, must be a long waiting list.

The waiting is really getting to me tbh, struggling to sleep or think about anything else other than this.

Good luck Matt hope all goes well.

Still not had mine out yet, got a date through to see a consultant about a month ago, that's on the 13th October, must be a long waiting list.

The waiting is really getting to me tbh, struggling to sleep or think about anything else other than this.

Hey thanks,
The wait certainly is a stressor:o Good luck to you too:) you say consultant are you getting sorted in hospital?

I've been close to cancelling the anxiety has been intense :o:o

Hey thanks,
The wait certainly is a stressor:o Good luck to you too:) you say consultant are you getting sorted in hospital?

I've been close to cancelling the anxiety has been intense :o:o

Yeah in hospital, being put to sleep for it, see the consultant on the 13th and then I assume I get a date for the procedure.

And yeah the waiting is horrible, too much thinking time.

Let us know how you get on mate, hope all goes well.

I can tell both of you, cancelling won't make the anxiety go away! You'll just end up waiting longer in the future, and the anxiety will be back again.

You just have to power through this, and you absolutely can. Long waiting times are the worst though. I had to wait 3 months to get my procedures done under GA. I actually managed to ignore it for most of that, but as it drew nearer I got that sickish feeling in my stomach whenever I thought of it. It's not pleasant.

But trust me on this, the sheer relief once it's over makes it all worth it. When I woke up from GA, my first thought was "Yes, I did it!" and even though I was all swollen and oozy from multiple extractions, I honestly didn't care at all, because I'd done it and it was out of the way.

So focus on that thought. It'll help you through the wait.

:hug4: hugs for both of you.

I can tell both of you, cancelling won't make the anxiety go away! You'll just end up waiting longer in the future, and the anxiety will be back again.

You just have to power through this, and you absolutely can. Long waiting times are the worst though. I had to wait 3 months to get my procedures done under GA. I actually managed to ignore it for most of that, but as it drew nearer I got that sickish feeling in my stomach whenever I thought of it. It's not pleasant.

But trust me on this, the sheer relief once it's over makes it all worth it. When I woke up from GA, my first thought was "Yes, I did it!" and even though I was all swollen and oozy from multiple extractions, I honestly didn't care at all, because I'd done it and it was out of the way.

So focus on that thought. It'll help you through the wait.

:hug4: hugs for both of you.

Thanks Sevena, I was in a total panic over the weekend as I suffer from an anxiety disorder. It was bad I couldn't catch my breathe and lots of other symptoms. Anyway I phoned my mum last night and told her how I was feeling, so she phoned the dentist today and told them that maybe I should take up the offer the dentist made to refer me for sedation. They were very nice about it and said to keep the appointment and just come and have another chat with the dentist. They did say they could sedate me but offer it as a private patient only at a cost of £200. I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do and as an NHS patient I can't see how the dentist would get paid if I walk into the appointment and say I want the referral.

Matt

Thanks Sevena, I was in a total panic over the weekend as I suffer from an anxiety disorder. It was bad I couldn't catch my breathe and lots of other symptoms. Anyway I phoned my mum last night and told her how I was feeling, so she phoned the dentist today and told them that maybe I should take up the offer the dentist made to refer me for sedation. They were very nice about it and said to keep the appointment and just come and have another chat with the dentist. They did say they could sedate me but offer it as a private patient only at a cost of £200. I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do and as an NHS patient I can't see how the dentist would get paid if I walk into the appointment and say I want the referral.

Matt

How did you get on Matt?

Back