• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety and panic disorders?

M

Matt R73

After reading through hundreds of threads on the forum. It seems to me that a lot of people with a dental phobia suffer from anxiety and panic disorders?

I do. Do you?

Matt

I think you are very right. I don't suffer from anxiety. Somehow I am able to stay rather calm even under stressful conditions. I think treating highly anxious people has actually helped me stay calm because if I can't support my patient then what?

Yes! I have anxiety issues and am currently on medication to help. However, it is still not enough to help when I visit the dentist. I have to have a one time prescription of a stronger medication called in for dentist visits. Otherwise I am a panic attack, crying, shaking, embarrassed 30 year old baby in the chair!!

I do. It happened after they misdiagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia. When they told me that's what I had I started having panic attacks. It ended up being my tooth but I'm still struggling. It's getting better now.

Hi Matt,

I admit i do have dental phobia and anxiety in the past but with frequent visits and deeper understanding of concepts help me overcoming it. Hope you will learn to manage it soon...

I have severe Panic Disorder to the point that I am classified by the state as 'disabled' and unable to work. I'm not currently on any medication as none of them worked for me and the only ones left have caused serious side effects for me in the past. Going to the dentist is a somewhat miserable experience for me (even though I like my current dentist and his staff), so I ended up picking a practice that was out-of-network with my insurance (and subsequently more expensive) but was close to home and had additional amenities like netflix to watch during procedures to help ease anxiety.

My Mom also has a severe phobia of the dentist (though hers was caused by a bad experience with some anesthetic/gas back in the 1960s) and also has a touch of anxiety disorder. She doesn't enjoy going to the dentist, but has significantly fewer issues with it than I do. She sort of has the attitude of "buck up and get it over with for six more months" :grin:

Back