• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had my wisdom teeth out 5 days ago, some questions please help me!

T

Tly99

Hi everyone! I had my 4 impacted teeth out 5 days ago and have a feel questions I'm having anxiety over.

1) I've had this feeling when I bite down as though my molars are sticky and gummy, like chewing on liquid gummy bears. It almost feels rough and like a plaque build up when I run my tongue over my teeth however I've been rinsing and brushing religiously.

2) the inside of my cheeks are all indented with my teeth. As if I have been chewing down on them and they've been pressed up against them. I'm so scared, why could this be and is it normal?

3) my right upper gum, a chunk where the tooth was appears to have been removed completely?! Whereas on the other side the gum is still in tact. It literally feels like there's more gum after my last molar on the left upper side than the right. The right DID have a partial eruption but I don't know if this makes a difference

I can't contact my surgeon until Monday and I'm so scared any help would be so so very appreciated thank you!

here's a picture of what I mean concerning my cheek Untitled 1.jpg

Hello! First off, I am not a doctor, but I had my wisdom teeth removed almost two months ago and a lot of what you are saying sounds really similar to me. I know you posted this several days ago, but if you are still looking for an answer hopefully this will help.

1. I had this exact same feeling! For me, I'm pretty sure it was just because my teeth were gross from lack of cleaning/saliva/etc. The first week or so after they were removed, I was so nervous about messing anything up that I really didn't move my mouth much at all and I was also really careful about brushing, so my teeth just seemed to get caked up with stickiness. What worked for me was just brushing really well (and carefully) and it all worked out. That stopped being a problem after a week or two. Since you say you've been rinsing and brushing a lot, it sounds like it might just be something related to the whole healing process, but I wouldn't worry too much. :) It's just gross to feel!

2. This freaked me out, too, at first! A lot of was because my cheeks were still slightly swollen - even though I didn't realize it. This makes them press into your teeth a bit more. Mine still actually seem to indent a bit, but my dentist said it's absolutely nothing to worry about as long as you aren't chewing on them.

3. I'm afraid I don't have too much info on this problem. What I can say is that every tooth is different, so while one might make very little notice after removal, another one might take a lot more to recover, and since it wasn't erupted on that side it might have taken a bit more surgery to remove it, thus causing more gum displacement. I actually just asked a similar question about uneven gums a few minutes ago - I don't think it's quite the same, but gums sure seem frustrating. :confused:

Hope you recovery is going well!

1. Perfectly normal sensation after wisdom tooth removal. This will go away after it has a little more time to heal.

2. The indentations on your cheeks look like they've been like that for a while or it is possible it could have been from the swelling. You probably just didn't notice it until you had your wisdom teeth out. Again, this is a perfectly normal thing I see on many of my patients. Nothing to be worried about!

3. Every tooth extraction is different. Depending on how each one went there can be more or less gum tissue remaining. Within a month or two the gum tissue will heal over entirely and you won't notice a difference.

Give it another couple of weeks for healing and you should be just fine. If you've hit day 5 with minimal complications you should be just about home free!

Back