• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bone smoothed today, sore tonight advice please

F

Fanakerpan

:cry: So the saga continues, long story short, failed root canal, extraction, dry socket, antibiotics, hard sharp pointy lump in tongue side of gum (not on the top of the extracton site - on the tongue side).
After putting up with the horrible sharp lump in my gum which has ulcerated my tongue to pieces I went back to my dentist today and they cut my gum a little and drilled the bone to smooth the lump away, the lump has gone and I have just a little cut on my gum and no stitches but oh my days it aches now and hurts :cry: Anyone know when this will feel better? I am absoutely sick of this now, I really hope this is the end of my troubles I just want to feel normal in my mouth again, this has been going on now since February when I first had that wretched root canal.

Any advice re gum smoothing welcome

pain duration shouldn't be long at long

It really hurts to eat 48 hours later, the bone looks so much better shapewise but it has what looks like an ulcer on it and I think its that what is making it so sore, my dentist said to use Bonjela on it after she performed the procedure which I have been doing religiously. I will try to photograph the area.

Here is the photo, when i eat food its really painful, ok not as painful as a dry socket but its up there. And it just randomly hurts too. Excuse my tongue! its been gross since I had the bone drilled.

Attachments

• 14522320_10154171040807585_1878260012_o.jpg
    14522320_10154171040807585_1878260012_o.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi I am not a dentist but I would go back and get them to have a look. It could be that you have a bit of infection. I don't know but you should be starting to feeling better now not worse. :butterfly:

That's a pretty good sized ulcer where they smoothed the bone. Some people take longer to heal than others and you may just be that lucky person :). Based on that picture I wouldn't be concerned and would give it more time to heal. Ulcers can take up to two weeks to heal entirely. In the meantime, it can hurt pretty badly like you're describing. I've had patients come in convinced they needed a root canal or an extraction and all it was was an ulcer. It can hurt that bad. If it has been a couple of days, it should start getting significantly better soon. Keep using the Bonjela. You may also want to find something with 20% benzocaine to help numb the area. Hope it feels better soon!

Thank you so very much for the reply I will keep up the bonjela and look for that other product too, it feels marginally better today I have only had 2 paracetamol so far, still hurts like heck if food or drink touches the area but I am keeping everything crossed that it improves a little more each day now.

Back