• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental work over holiday period

S

swags

Hi everyone,

I had a routine check up in mid November and was asked to make another appointment to have a filling replaced. The filling in question was done about a year and half ago and has not given me any problems as yet. As far as I can remember the filling itself isn't the issue but signs of decay on the tooth.

I made the appointment, but come the day of the visit (yesterday) - the booking was cancelled and I was asked to make an alternative appointment.

My problem is, my dentist didn't have any slots available for the next two weeks and as I am away for part of the third week, my only options are to have the filling replaced the week before the Christmas holidays, or in the New Year. Reluctant to have any work done the week before (in case something goes wrong) I have made an appointment for the first week in January.

I'm now slightly concerned that this length of time is going to make the situation worse. Is waiting over 4 weeks to have the work done an acceptable amount of time? Or should I take the plunge and try for an pre Christmas appointment.

I wouldn't say I have a full on dental phobia - but I usually have to pluck up quite a lot of courage to get myself to the dentist. Furthermore, the last lot of work I had done left me in pain for about three weeks and required two courses of antibiotics. Naturally this is weighing heavily on my mind.

Any advice gratefully recieved

I'm not a dentist, but have had more than my fair share of dental work. Tooth decay usually happens very, very slowly. Waiting 4 weeks should not be a problem. If you're concerned, you can always call the dentist's office and ask to speak directly with the dentist about your particular situation.

I agree, dental decay is slow but steady. So you probably wont kill off the tooth with waiting 4 weeks.
On the other hand if it is a simple filling replacement and you had work done with this doctor before :dunno: I would go for it. Takes about 30-45minutes, you shouldn't chew on it that evening and you should be all good from the next day.
I don't think it is risky either way. :dunno: But if it is a new doc I would totally get that you wouldn't want to risk it before the Holidays.

Thanks for your replies - really appreciated.

It is a large filling and a new doctor - so, as it's not giving me any trouble, I'll probably wait until Christmas is out of the way.