• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recovery time / Time off work

• Thread starter PremiumCoffeeBean
  • Start date
P

PremiumCoffeeBean

Hi,

On January 20th I will be going in to get 3 wisdom teeth removed, 1 molar removed, a root canal and crown placement, and 1 filling all in one very long 6 hour sitting with oral sedation (but at least it will all be done and over with!)

Im just wondering how long the recovery would be for something like this and if I should be taking time off work (I'm having it done on a Friday and have the weekend to recover).

If anyone could give me a rough timeline for healing/getting back to work, that would be great. Thanks so much!

I have never had that much work done at once but when I had all 4 wisdom teeth out on a Friday afternoon I was back at university and fine to function on Monday. Saturday was the worst day for me but it was nothing some t3s and advil didn't help.

When I was 18, I had all four wisdom teeth, two impacted, one had roots that were curled around a nerve, and the other just needed to come out - and it was a snap. In and out. My down time was how long it took me to drive home. I kept those gauze rolls in place and kept my teeth clenched down on them. No dry sockets. I even went out clubbing that night. I expected my jaw to be huge - nothing. No swelling. It was WAAAAAAY less than I expected. Funny I am pep talking you on this when I joined this forum 5 seconds ago because I am now 41 and have a failing root canal with a damaged crown where they cannot save the tooth. It should be a super easy extraction, and I am freaking out, LOL.

Haha - in a couple of days we will be both on here saying WHY was I so freaked out???? :)

You may very well be fine by Monday. You might have some swelling and your jaw may feel sore or brushed from the extractions and root canal. What do you do for work? If you work in an office you will probably be fine to return. If you are more in a retail position that requires talking you might want to see how you feel Sunday night or ask your manager to do other tasks that don't require much talking? I work in an office with heavy phone work. I asked to be off the phone and handle paperwork and email for a couple of days after an extraction and for my last root canal (no pain or visible swelling... just a sore jaw). My previous root canals and crowns were fine. I was out of the office and back to my regular activities that same day.

Back