• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of dental-impression..

W

whyan

I have a fear of taking dental-impressions. I wonder what can I do to tell my orthodontist or dentist, or what I could do to help remove or reduce this fear.

Thanks.

Hi there :welcome:,
usually, the easiest way to come up with a solution to a problem is to be straightforward about your fear and let your dentist/orthodontist know about it. They might be able to put your fears at rest or make suggestions to make the experience more tolerable for you :). What exactly is it about impressions that worries you? (for example, some people are worried because they have a strong gag reflex, others are worried about breathing, others again are worried about the taste/smell, and other people again are afraid that their teeth might come out)

What exactly is it about impressions that worries you? (for example, some people are worried because they have a strong gag reflex, others are worried about breathing, others again are worried about the taste/smell, and other people again are afraid that their teeth might come out)

You're talking about me arent you lets? lol.
Yes, i was petrified of everything...........but it isnt bad really. If the correct size tray is used it cuts back on the gagging, as does breathing slowly through the nose. The stuff sets in about 30 seconds.
The smell/taste was not a problem for me. I was totally petrified that some loose teeth would come out but of course this didnt happen.I guess its just fear of the unknown?

letsconnect said:
Hi there  :welcome:,
usually, the easiest way to come up with a solution to a problem is to be straightforward about your fear and let your dentist/orthodontist know about it. They might be able to put your fears at rest or make suggestions to make the experience more tolerable for you  :). What exactly is it about impressions that worries you? (for example, some people are worried because they have a strong gag reflex, others are worried about breathing, others again are worried about the taste/smell, and other people again are afraid that their teeth might come out)

I usually scared of my quick gagging reflexes, I had a bad history of it too.

I don't know if you've seen this page yet:

It's a collection of tips on how to deal with the gag reflex. If you let your dentist/orthodontist know, they may also be able to suggest other things :).

letsconnect said:
I don't know if you've seen this page yet:

It's a collection of tips on how to deal with the gag reflex. If you let your dentist/orthodontist know, they may also be able to suggest other things :).

Thanks.

Back