• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The one reason why you have a fear of the dentist

C

cat_nibbs

Former Member
If you could give one reason why you have a fear of the dentist, what would it be?

Quick question

my biggest fear is not the dentist at all. it's if the procedures will make me nauseous or faint. feeling that way with someone's hands in my mouth terrifies me beyond words. completely irrational!

Even though I go every three months to the dentist for checkups (been going to dentist before I was one) my dentist and I had a good chat I been seeing her for 5 years now. My problem is being embarrassed about my teeth, I had some work doing on my teeth :(

I told her the reasons why I dont like going having those sharp object put in my mouth, being judge (she has probably seen worst teeth than mine and better) I cannot help having a small mouth with some difficult teeth to keep clean (hate this cross bite, since I had work done like fillings, root canal)

I hate my teeth and would like them fixed so it easier for the dentist to check for problems. I get very scared of going even though I been for years to the dentist. I think I got bad teeth. I fear I will lose my teeth because of my issues with my mouth, I dont want dentures,

Trying to keep my mouth open, I got a narrow mouth, overcrowding problem, it makes the dentist job more challenging and harder, I hate it. I go every three months which is very good of my NHS dentist, If I had a normal mouth where plaque did not build up it would be better.

I have never like going to the dentist from the first dentist I saw, the dentists at the dental hospital to sort of my braces, being judged by the dentist, the shame that I think I have the worst teeth in the world, even though this is not true, I dont enjoy smiling.

Being judge, sharp tools, scrape, scaler, xray machine, small office, smells I hate my teeth and want to take them out myself, so i dont have to worry about needing another filling, root canal again. Ihate my teeth, mouth, gums worst a dentist I have seen.

My dentist have never told me off. I have a disability so I dont understnad all these terms,, I understand the numbers for gum pockets lower the bette.r

Re: Quick question

Probably not getting a proper diagnosis/fully competent dentist.

1. Embarrassment about not going sooner. Overcome by going and explaining and gaining the trust of my lovely new dentist.
2. Fear of the unknown. Overcome by getting treatment slowly and realising it really isn't that bad these days.

Mostly its shame, embarrassment, regret, and the feeling they will not want me there or as a patient , or a feeling of being rushed . If I feel safe emotionally , or important as a patient and not judged I can deal wtih the actualy dental stuff.. though i do have fear of things dropping down my throat and gagging.

Mine stems from a child. When I had the nerve removed from the tooth I broke. I was scared to death seeing all those dental tools coming at me that I cried. The dentist yelled at me for crying. I was about 8 years old. That began my fear.

I have an awesome dentist now. After looking for years!! Now I'm not afraid to go in anymore.

Mine very sadly was down to actual abuse in the eighties. I was undergoing care with a very nasty orthodontist who clearly hated me and was determined that I was going to suffer. On one occasion his pliers slipped when he was pushing an appliance home on one of my back teeth. Although he in fact did apologise, the image of his nurse mopping up the blood for ages afterwards has never entirely left me. Thank God the character in question has long died and will not hurt anybody else.......

However, in total contrast, my recent experience was so gentle and caring such that a lot of emotional healing has taken place as a result and at least seeing a dentist now is no longer a horror movie but a place of safety.

If we weren't on the other ends of the world Simon , I would swear we went to the same ortho.. It was beyond awful and left a lasting impression for sure.. thank for good experiences years later and new chances.. Thank God !! So glad you found such a beautiful team!! :)

If we weren't on the other ends of the world Simon , I would swear we went to the same ortho.. It was beyond awful and left a lasting impression for sure.. thank for good experiences years later and new chances.. Thank God !! So glad you found such a beautiful team!! :)
Just seen this! Thanks for your kind words. Thankfully the impression was not long lasting but was promptly sent off to a lab for manufacture (badly)!! It tasted awful too....XX

Lack of control. If I feel in control, all of my anxiety goes away. The single phrase that turned everything around for me was when my dentist said “you’re the one who’s in control here, if you want me to stop, I stop.” That sealed the deal for me!

Embarrassment for me. I don't go because I don't want to be lectured by the dentist since that's what dentists did when I was a kid. I know I need work done and haven't done a good job of taking care of my teeth. My own fault. I last saw a dentist 5 years ago before I started college and was still on my parents insurance. I kept putting off problems I was having by making excuses to myself that I couldn't afford it, or telling myself that it wasn't really that bad. When I first noticed white spots and my teeth were yellow I just told myself "Yeah, they don't look great but I guess it's alright". When my gums were bleeding when I did happen to brush I told myself they always did that and that most people's gums bleed. When I chipped a tooth I just told myself that it didn't hurt and I could live with it. When I started having pain in my upper right jaw I just put an icepack on it and pounded tylenol and motrin. I was in college and working a low-wage hourly job and bills were (are still) tight, when in reality it would've been much simpler and cheaper to just to suck it up and go. Also dentist visits being an unpleasant experience from childhood.

I'm going to go now before it gets worse because I finally looked at myself in the mirror and thought I was going to have a panic attack. I have started taking care of myself better. Yes the pain and the sounds and smells of the office are unpleasant for me, but I know that the dentist is there to help me in the end.

When I first noticed white spots and my teeth were yellow I just told myself "Yeah, they don't look great but I guess it's alright". When my gums were bleeding when I did happen to brush I told myself they always did that and that most people's gums bleed. When I chipped a tooth I just told myself that it didn't hurt and I could live with it.
Me, me, me.

Then I went (after 20+ years) to a dentist who said on their website he likes working with nervous patients and acknowledged that many people haven't been for years. So I figured they must have seen worse than me, and surely they wouldn't lecture me if they understand nervous patients.

He was really nice and didn't say a thing that implied I had ever done anything wrong, just told me what needed done.

I'm nervous about the appointments I have coming up, but absolutely nothing like before. And the nerves I do have are much easier than the fear of the unknown I had before. And the slight embarrassment is not the same as being pure mortified.

You'll do great!

Not being in control.
Fear of feeling pain.

I could give 100 reasons, but I guess feeling trapped in the chair and out of control.

Coz i NEVER met a good dentist EVER....

and i go to expensive world renowned clinics ALWAYS

Still i am disappointed 101% of the time

My biggest fear?

Easy.. Going in and finding out they need to pull all myteeth.

My dad had peridontis and my husband recently had this diagnosis.. He went in one day and they said they all gotta go.

My fear is the fear of the unknown, every single time I went to a dentist as a child (which wasn’t often at all, I think it was 3yrs between visits) I would always need some sort of work done. So I always get so nervous at my 6 monthly appointment because I don’t want to hear that I need a filling. I’ve had more appointments in the last few years that I haven’t needed to get some extensive work done. My first appointment I had with my current dentist he found a quite deep cavity that needed a pulp cap to cover the nerve. So I guess I have that fear of finding out I have a massive filling or worse root canal.

My fear is the fear of the unknown, every single time I went to a dentist as a child (which wasn’t often at all, I think it was 3yrs between visits) I would always need some sort of work done. So I always get so nervous at my 6 monthly appointment because I don’t want to hear that I need a filling. I’ve had more appointments in the last few years that I haven’t needed to get some extensive work done. My first appointment I had with my current dentist he found a quite deep cavity that needed a pulp cap to cover the nerve. So I guess I have that fear of finding out I have a massive filling or worse root canal.

I second the fear of the unknown and finding out you need work. That was always a huge reason I feared the dentist as a child.

After avoiding for so long, my fear was embarrassment.

And, now, with a six month appointment looming, it’s back to the first one. ?

Also, I don’t like lack of control... not just in dentistry but in general.

Back