• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal / Sodium Hypochlorite poisoning

C

CC1228

I had a root canal two days ago due to a filling that fell out and left my tooth completely open with the nerve exposed resulting in unbearable pain and infection (no abscess). During the 3 hour procedure I swallowed the sodium hypochlorite solution 3 times - it some how got between the damn and went down my throat. Each time I jumped up gagging and coughing with my throat burning they rinsed me with water still painful I continued to finish this and get it over with. Fast forward about an hour I get home I'm feeling incredibly awful - nauseous, eyes burning, my throat feels right. I throw up a few times but it's been two days and I still feel such pain in my stomach. What I'm getting to is has anyone swallowed this bleach solution before and has similar issues? The dentist said unless my breathing is compromised fully I should be fine. After reading multiple articles and threads I'm considering having the tooth pulled instead of finishing the procedure with a crown.

I can understand a little like drops leaking but no more than that. After the first episode and without question after the second they need to look at their isolation technique or how they use the rinse to prevent this occurrence.

Comfortdentist Can the solution do any damage to the throat and stomach?

Thanks for posting this. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, sounds horrible.

I'm replying to say this: I'm facing multiple root canals in an attempt to save my natural teeth when I really don't want to save them at all. I've never had the procedure before, mind you. Stories like this, among other research I've done, make me want to RUN from root canals. For instance, a tooth may (rarely) require a 2nd root canal at some point, but if it ever needs a 3rd, it usually ends up getting extracted anyway. Also, certain complications (like yours) can make the experience dreadful (like files falling into a canal and must be retrieved, the tooth might still fracture after crown installed...etc) Granted, your experience was possibly a very rare, unfortunate accident, but nonetheless, I'm here to learn from others' experiences, be they good or bad. Please don't take the notion that I'm anti-root canal, nor against saving natural teeth when possible AND practical, but I'm in a place where I need to decide, and EVERY story on this site is influencing me in one way or the other. Everyone is different and not everyone has the same results from whatever treatments or solutions are out there. Too many variables factor in, it's a lot like gambling. Best wishes!

The small quantities of that are used wouldn't cause any significant harm. The only risk to the mouth and throat might be to someone with a dry mouth where the fluid kept leaking and was not rinsed away.

Back