• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth sensitive to hard food 1 week after filling replaced

A

AmandaT

Hello! A week ago, I went to the dentist because I was having some sensitivity with one of my molars. While there, my dentist looked at the tooth and couldn't see any problems with it. He also did an x-ray and didn't see anything there either. He decided to take out the old filling (amalgam) and replace it with a composite filling. He did warn me that the composite filling would probably cause sensitivity to hot and cold for a bit and he gave me prevident to help with it.

Now, a week later, the sensitivity to hot and cold has subsided, but I still have pain when I eat anything "hard" on that tooth. For example, this morning, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, and I was able to chew with that tooth with no problems, but later on I had some almonds, and I was unable to chew with that tooth because it was too painful. Last night, I had a toasted bagel, and I was also unable to chew with that tooth due to the pain.

After looking some stuff up online, I'm seeing that this could possibly be because the bite is too high. Just feeling this tooth with my tongue, it does feel like the lingual part of the tooth is more prominent than it used to be and more prominent than the same molar on the opposite side of my mouth.

I'm going on vacation this weekend and will be gone all next week and I'm unsure if my dentist would be able to see me this week. I don't want to have any more work done yet because for a couple of days after he switched the filling out, I was in a bit of pain, but it did subside and only hurts now when I bite something hard. Should I try to see if he can fit me in just to fix the bite, or will this also subside on its own?

Thanks! -Amanda

Last edited:
Amanda - while it's still tender, i'd lay off eating hard or crunchy foods...sometimes our teeth just need some recovery time, even from simple fillings.

Having your Dentist check the bite and adjust it is an EASY, painless and very quick procedure. I'm sure he could fit you in between patients. I'm not kidding, this "appointment" should be free (you've already paid for filling -- perfecting the bite after filling is part of that same procedure) -- and it's literally a 5-10 min appointment. So don't hesitate to give your Dentist a call, ask the receptionist if Dentist can squeeze you in to check your filling/bite. End of day, lunch time, between patients or even when the current patient is letting the anesthesia take effect -- trust me, they'll be able to squeeze you in to check the bite. And if they can't, you need a new Dentist.

I had a painful filling that was due to bite. Felt immediately better when bite was adjusted. Immediately. I hope this is your issue, too and that a simple adjustment will work for you.

Good luck.

Back