• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I manged to talk to my dentist

T

Thephilsblogbar

The last appointment I went to was February 2017 even though I got for checkups every three months not due to poor hygeine, work done on my teeth, I tend to have a build up of plaque and difficult mouth to keep clean. It has taken me 33 years of telling a dentist what I dislike and why I am afraid apart from being embarassed about how my teeth look and the work I have had done.

I told her (since I had dentist 5 years now) it is the sharp objects, and the tools to remove the plaque off even though I know this is important, my dentist asked my mum how can she help me be less afraid. I was afraid when I had an infection, even though she showed me the xray and could see the hyge infection, no being scolded about my xrays, no other problems which needed doing with, no teeth shot to pieces etc. I have had the problem tooth dealt with a root canal last year.

The only worries I fear is if I need my wisdom teeth out, I get the odd twinge and pain.

I worry a lot before i see the dentist. I am grateful that my parents took me to the dentist when I was a child, my Dad parents never took him to the dentist or his brothers/and sister and he lost the lot in his 40s. My parents still go now, my Dad only recently gone back he thought after getting false teeth he never had to go back.

Last edited:
When I get a reminder for my next appointment in May 2017 (I go every three months) not because I have poor oral health, and had work done on my teeth, it sort of build up trust, I have lots of weird teeth, so I do get a plaque build up, getting better, I have only had one adult teeth pulled and that was in 2006, could not afford a root canal emergecy appointment, I know I had a few fillings done, one root canal re-done, had a few abcesses not because of poor hygeine and diet, just have teeth problems.

Hi philsblogbar,

Glad to hear that you finally managed it. I would love to know is there a specific disorder or the diet that result in your poor oral health.

Keep smiling

Possibly a bit of both, I have got a overbite, I have had 10 dentists since my first trip to the dentist when I was just one, I am grateful the dentist wants to see me every 3 months, catch any problems early, hopefully she will not retire for years to come. There is only a few other dentists at the pratice I would see.
thankfully using a battery toothbrush for the last 20+ years has help me.
For me having a disability I find it hard to speak up, I think one aspect I did not how to tell my dentist what I dont enjoy going to the dentist and what I am afraid of without being rude or sound forceful, some of my past dentists I have had not had good bed side manner and I find it hard to explain.
I am okay talking to the gps about health worries.

Sometimes in the past when I had my checkups every 6 months, until my current dentist reduced it to three months a couple of years ago, even though in the past I said I am embarrassed and I am scared to the dentist, I was afraid just to tell them it was the tools. I did not want to waste my dentist time, I only found this site a few years ago.
Now for my next appointment at least she knows, I lost count how many times I been to the dentist over the last 33 years for checkups, had appointments where I needed a filling, get abeccess sorted, I have never walked out the dentist before, when my parents took me for checkups when I was a child, sometimes my parents have gone with me as an adult because my parents know I get worked up. I am so grateful for my parents taking me to the dentist growing up, so I have continued going during adulthood, as I dont want to lose all my teeth for refusing to go to the dentist.

At least now my dentist knows, I dont need to remind them I am afraid I am lucky to have a good dental assistant and a fantastic dentist (she knows I have a disability, so I panic more) the other dentists in the past some have been male and have not always had a good bed side manner, I have noticed since my first visit when I was just under 1 to current age of 33 nearly 34 in December. during the 33 years of attending my appointments a lot of things have changed for the better, even when I was going every 6 months for checkups sometimes I noticed a small change in the way we were treated.

However I still hate my teeth and want to get them fixed even going for 33 years for checkups every 3 months, usse to 6 for me (doh i hate having a difficult mouth) yes I had fillings, root canal, one tooth needed a bit of bonding. it makes me feel upset

The only thing I forgot to mention the last time I went for the checkup, memories of the school dentist, my parents did not want me to see them when I was having braces, seeing my normal dentist at the time was good enough. This is one of the reasons I get scared, even though I been lots of times for checkups and got dental work done if needed

I still dont like teeth, I had work done and I already scare of seeing the dentist next month, even though during my 33 years, I have probably been 90+ times, it the embarrassment of how bad I think my teeth are. I had work done like fillings, root canal etc. I want to keep my teeth. I prefer implants if needed, not dentures.

Thank you for sharing your story :) You have given me a few ideas. Such as visiting the dentists every 3 months and using a battery operated toothbrush. I have lost all 4 of my number 7 molars now and have a few other niggles. All because I did not go to the dentists for a very long time in adulthood. I want to take care of the rest of my teeth now and I am researching how best to do this. I also agree, I would prefer implants to dentures and may look into filling my number 7 holes that way when I've calmed down from recent extractions.

Thank you for reply. I think having a small mouth (does not have help having a poor mirror and lighting) I still live at home and plenty of difficult positing with my teeth, I am surprise that I have not needed more work doing, having this overbite will make my options limited so I want to save and fix my teeth if I get problems

Getting close to my next checkup, these three months checkups come faster and faster. I still think my teeh are the worst a dentist have seen. I try my hardest to keep them clean. I am scared of a lot at the dentist being judge, those sharp tools and equipment, the sounds, the drill, the needle. I wish my teeth were easier to managed. I trust my dentist with the treatment

Getting close to my next checkup, these three months checkups come faster and faster. I still think my teeh are the worst a dentist have seen. I try my hardest to keep them clean. I am scared of a lot at the dentist being judge, those sharp tools and equipment, the sounds, the drill, the needle. I wish my teeth were easier to managed. I trust my dentist with the treatment

I get any problems sorted out and dont put of not get any of my teeth treated if needed, my current dentist goes at a pace I am okay with, always ask if I am okay by her assistant and herself. and ease me gentle I have no bad comments from my teeth for the last couple of years, but she says I am getting better at brushing than I first saw her 6 years ago.

I could do without having to have too much treatment doing at one go if I need it, I want to fixed my teeth, hopefully I wont need my wisdom teeth out I am in my 30s and I think my dentist should have just pulled them if there was a problem when I was 17 or 18 I got a small mouth. I have hated my teeth, I dont like going to dentists, I dont like smiling or talking. I hide my smile from a lot of people because I am shy about my teeth.

Now after the panic of worrying about going to the dentist last week, I managed to get through another cleaning earlier this week, I know I am grateful for my parents taking me and my sister to the dentist when our first baby tooth can through (or probably slightly before) it has set me up going as an adult, my parents sometimes still come with me, because I am scared, talking to the dentist about that dream I had helped, probably thought weird dream. her assistant loved the dream and where joking said where do I sign for my kids to get the treatment with tagging on tongue,

Well I got my next check up next month (since I go every three months) not because my teeth are bad, and my oral bad, just got some awkard, crowded mouth (that how my dentist had told me is the nicely way) which makes me think my teeth look bad, I did well last time, now my dentist knows the truth what I hate going to see the dentist, she can help me get and spend that extra few minutes (even though I am NHS patient) just giving me the ressaurance that everything will be okay, or I am doing okay, she also prefers to get any problems treated early, catch them early, but she never goes over the top.

95% got over the fear

Even though I been to the dentist for years (since I was about 9 months) got my next appointment in September (I go every three months) not due to poor hygeine or bad teeth, mainly base on my teeth are awkard, overcrowding, plaque build up, dentist does a good job seeing me regularly to help me up with hygeine and spot any problems if I get any, not that I will lose my teeth,

We had a good chat before the cleaning, she now knows why I dont like going. I think having some rough cleanings from other dentists before she came into the pratice and bad remarks from other dentists made me hate going to dentist but knew I had to go for 6 months cleanings and to spot any problems, I think some dentist I had in the past over treated me.

I will keep talking to my dentist, even though I seen her for 6 years now and being going for the last 33 years to the pratice, never miss an appointment apart from when there was a mixed up when I was nine and once when I was away on holiday and could not do a think about it, as the pratice rearranged an appointment as my dentist was away for me due date, but was booked in a week later. I dont like my teeth, deeply embarassed some of the stains etc, Flourosis etc, I got a different mouth to keep clean which upsets me, small mouth, battery toothbrush and regularly appointments for me every 3 months helps, it helps me build up a good relationship with dentist, so i dont get scared as much.

Will carry on talking to the dentist for my next appointment, even though she knows now I am not looking forward to go in September for a checkup, I hate my teeth and gums, with 2mm pockets, all good I think, once I got 5mm but that was years ago, whether it was a scared tactic, as I was also told three teeth was loose but that was years ago. I will also tell her what else I am scared off

Back