• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My journal (so long! Apologies)

L

LunaAva

So...

I've always had a hard time with my teeth. Both my parents have terrible teeth (in fact my mother had ALL of hers pulled at 30 when I was born) and I'm fairly certain a lot of my issue is genetic. I remember my first dentist being mean and I got the classic dentist phobia. I then had to get a tooth pulled in my teen years and hated going so I didn't go for a good few years. The cycle seems to have been wait until an emergency, go get that fixed then not go back for one reason or another, normally because I get so sick of being judged and made to feel bad. The amount of times I've been asked if I brush regularly is so frustrating, I've found it particularly infuriating when I've dated people with perfect teeth who would frequently go without brushing or flossing (gross I know) and they never seemed to have the problems I've had.

Anyway 5 years ago I had an unfinished root canal. I know I should have got it finished but the dentist I liked left the surgery and that combined with a lack of money and work pressuring me about taking time off made me walk away and leave it unfinished. So the other day I bit into some food and felt with horror that the front part of that tooth had come off. I was ok my way into work so I didn't have a lot of options other than running into the bathroom to make an emergency appointment with the dentist surgery I had last been to. The receptionist made a point if saying I hadn't been back in 5 years, made me feel so bad that I almost decided not to bother. Anyway luckily I didn't and I got an appointment for the next morning.

Fast forward to the next day: went to the dentists office feeling the usual terror. I had no idea who I was seeing and was so scared of the usual criticism. I went in and was just upfront, saying what had happened. I showed him that tooth and his first instinct was to tell me it needed to be pulled. I instantly welled up and started bargaining for my tooth (sounds so ridiculous!). I feel like this appointment was so different to all my previous ones as this guy was LISTENING TO ME. He seemed astonished that i could tell him the history of every tooth, obviously he doesn't realise how this stuff stays with you when you're this self-conscious about them. I told him quite openly that I found it frustrating that I tried to do everything right in terms of hygiene and diet and still had no luck. He said I'd made a big step by coming in and did a full assessment and x rays of my entire mouth. He also prescribed me a special fluoride toothpaste (I knew that existed but never been offered it) and we agreed that if I used that and got the other work needed that he'd consider restoring the tooth. He even said he'd get some further opinions to see what could be done, at which point I cried as I couldn't believe he was being so nice.

I'm booked back in for next week for some fillings. I know this is a very long and probably not very coherent story but I've never talked about this with anyone before. I'm optimistic about this for the first time in my life.

Hi LunaAva! :welcome:

Can I start off by saying that I absolutely love your name?! :) I recently rescued a pup and named her Luna. Anyways...so glad that by chance, you encountered a kind and compassionate dentist as they really can make all the difference in our journey. I met my dentist approximately 13 years ago at a pivotal time when I was going to swear off dentistry forever and I'm happy to say that she changed my mind and I still see her at least twice a year for routine exams/cleanings. I have no clue what I will do when she retires! o_O I did recently have a root canal (my 1st one ever!) with a very kind endodontist though and all went well so at least I know I can survive dental treatment with other kind dentists if I HAVE to! :hidesbehindsofa:

So sorry to hear about your dental woes! It is fantastic that you felt like you could communicate openly with this dentist already and that he took the time to listen to you. He sounds like he could be a keeper! I knew my dentist was a keeper when she told me that I was "in control" and that I could stop her at any time for any reason. He is right about you taking a big step to walk through the door and participate in a full assessment...and schedule fillings too! It is probably good you have scheduled the fillings right away so that not too much time passes for you to become anxious about it. I found after several back to back appointments for fillings followed by my root canal I was quite desensitized and by the time we got to the crown prep, I didn't much care what they did to me anymore. In fact, I actually put on my headphones and ignored them! :giggle: Let us know how you get on with treatment and feel free to discuss the options for restoration here as I'm sure others in your shoes may be reading this thread and want to know that their options are.

Back