• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified....nervous...but excited!

A

allycmears

Hi, I'm new here and have read many people's threads which helped me face my fears and brave going to the dentist! I was advised to have a full clearance followed by immediate dentures.....which I agreed to. Was told it would be about a 4 month wait but had a call today and an appointment has been made for 22/06/17.....went into shock, babbled a bit at the lovely lady on the phone and accepted the appointment, but now I'm a nervous wreck thinking about everything that could go wrong! Have given myself a severe kick up the proverbial and thinking of all the positives now, especially the thought of being able to smile! Any advice on this procedure would be very gratefully received ?X

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Tbh, I am new here too and don't really know much about the procedure but I wish you the best of luck and hope it all goes! ?

Hi! I'm excited at the thought of being able to smile again but now having horrible dreams about looking in the mirror after the immediate dentures are fitted and seeing a big set of comedy like teeth staring back at me! Nerves I guess lol! But as silly as it might sound, how do they know the size of the actual individual teeth to put on the plate???:cry:

Hey I was In that situation but couldn't wait that long for hospital and went private instead and turns out don't need full clearance just the top two teeth and partial denture

If you're getting immediates, they will take moulds of your teeth as-is, and base the immediate denture off that. Now, immediates *are* a guess, so they can be an imperfect fit. But the good news is, they are easy to adjust, so most of the time it's a case of the dentist shaving off bits here and there. Some people aren't happy with the way the teeth are set, or the size, and if it's a really bad case, the dentist can take the immediates away and give them a remould/set the teeth differently. But most people are happy with the look of their immediates.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. I had full extractions and dentures a few years ago. :)

Thanks for your reassurance Sevena.....I guess the nerves are starting to set in! I work very much in the public eye and have to meet new people all the time......I run an entertainment agency so have to appear confident and smiley ( the smiley bit I have found ways around lol), it will be so nice not having to disguise my mouth anymore! These dreams though.....perhaps I should lay off the googling!:giggle:

Oh God, don't google! No googling. Googling is public enemy number 1. :p

You'll want to practice talking with your new dentures in straight away. Even if there's no one around to talk to, talk to your pets or houseplants or hell, just sing along to music. The tongue is really adaptable, and learns super fast, but the first day or two will feel like you're trying to talk with a giant chunk of plastic in your mouth. This passes, and quicker than you'd think, I promise. And taking your mind off it helps, so when you go back to work, you hopefully won't be focusing on it. I've heard it only takes like 3 days for your speech to get back to pretty much normal, and another good thing is that while it might sound like you're lisping to you, other people almost never notice.

I still have tooth related dreams occasionally. I have a dream where I'm out and about and I realise I've left my denture at home. This is not a nice dream but has never happened to me IRL because the denture is an ingrained part of my daily routine :giggle:

Oh God, don't google! No googling. Googling is public enemy number 1

Well... Crap. (I have been Googling about wisdom teeth for 2 years. I do not feel smarter/more knowledgeable for it and I am a little more scared because of Googling. Do yourself a favour and make Google a black listed page.) :p

I'm having all extracted and immediates in a few weeks. Im right there with you. Scared/terrified and excited

Hi allycmears, Good to know that threads help you in over coming fears. I can tell you the procedure is easy and don't forget the long term benefits. Good Luck!!

Excuse my ignorance but does OP`s treatment really mean all teeth are extracted and on the same day patient walks out with full dentures? I see adverts for "fix your smile in 24 hours" etc but is this really true or do you have teeth out one day then dentures/implants fitted on another day? I`ve got a full set of teeth but many/all are rotten -surely I couldn`t have all extracted on one day and implants or full dentures fitted on the same day or could I? I`ve still got all wisdom teeth so I suppose that could delay things even more.

That's exactly what it means. They make "immediate dentures", which are made from moulds they take of your teeth and gums before the extractions, and placed immediately after extraction (hence the name!)

Immediates are beneficial in many ways. Aside from the obvious that having teeth is better than not, and you get to learn to eat and talk with them nice and quick, they also help protect the extraction sites, particularly in the first 48 hours following the procedure, when the protective blood clots can be dislodged and hamper healing.

As they're made from impressions before the extractions, they are a bit of a guess, size-wise, and can require some adjusting. Also, gums shrink in the months following extractions, so they can become a bit loose, but denture adhesive keeps them usable.

Wisdom extractions don't make a difference, I had full extractions including all my wisdoms, and dentures the same day. :)

Implants are more complicated. They can be placed on the same day as an extraction, or weeks or months after. They take a while, so if someone was getting many implants, it would probably be done in stages. If someone gets many extractions and has to wait months before getting implants, immediate partial or full dentures can be used in the meantime etc.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone, haven't logged in for a while as I've been putting the upcoming event to the back of my mind! Tomorrow is the day of the full clearance and immediate dentures and to say I'm nervous, anxious and scared is an understatement......so many worries such as will I feel anything, will the sedation work, what will my new teeth look like, will I swell up horrendously.....my mind really is working overtime. Got to go and pick up my new teeth later to take with me tomorrow.....what if I don't like them?! :scared:

Morning Justamused.....when is your surgery? If mine is before you I promise I'll come on and tell you how it goes. So nervous right now but deep down I'm sure it'll be fine, lots of people have reassured me but can't help bricking it!

Well....surgery didn't happen today.....went to pick up my immediate dentures yesterday to find that they weren't ready, only the wax mould ( whatever that is!) had been returned, got to go to the dentist later and have my bite measured, not sure how they do that but I'm assuming it's fairly easy

Measuring bite should be a breeze. Delays are the worst though, because you just want it over with!

That's exactly what it means. They make "immediate dentures", which are made from moulds they take of your teeth and gums before the extractions, and placed immediately after extraction (hence the name!)

Immediates are beneficial in many ways. Aside from the obvious that having teeth is better than not, and you get to learn to eat and talk with them nice and quick, they also help protect the extraction sites, particularly in the first 48 hours following the procedure, when the protective blood clots can be dislodged and hamper healing.

As they're made from impressions before the extractions, they are a bit of a guess, size-wise, and can require some adjusting. Also, gums shrink in the months following extractions, so they can become a bit loose, but denture adhesive keeps them usable.

Wisdom extractions don't make a difference, I had full extractions including all my wisdoms, and dentures the same day. :)

Implants are more complicated. They can be placed on the same day as an extraction, or weeks or months after. They take a while, so if someone was getting many implants, it would probably be done in stages. If someone gets many extractions and has to wait months before getting implants, immediate partial or full dentures can be used in the meantime etc.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for detailled reply. All sounds so easy but being realistic multiple extractions could mean a couple of appointments or more plus implants or alternatives etc etc . Do most dentists in UK and elsewhere in Europe (I`m Scottish but live in Spain) offer this service? Probably not and especially if sedation is required too.

Hi Sevena, the delay was really annoying but I suppose if having the bite measured should make hem a better fit then it's all good. My appointment is now this Thursday and the nerves are starting to kick in again:cry:

I wish you the very best for your journey. Many people on youtube document their denture journey and answer FAQs. So long as watching would not trigger too much anxiety for you.

Thanks Obsessed, might give it a look.....must admit I'm one who likes to think that more info I have the better!x

Back