• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thank you everyone

L

Lizzyt

I'd just like to extend my heart felt thanks to everyone who shares their experiences, stories and support on this forum...especially those of you with far worse fears and phobias than mine. You gave me the confidence to face my fears and finally get myself to the dentist after an absence of around 10 years. Up until then I'd always been for regular check ups and whilst my dentist was lovely unfortunately his hygienist wasn't so I stopped going. I couldn't face the agony again....and honestly I'm no wuss. I'd seen other hygienists without problem but that last one was in a league of her own. :o

Anyway back in January I started having strange pains and sensations in my jaw and mouth that wouldn't go away so I had to force my fears and get myself to a dentist. I have always tried my best to look after my teeth but after not having a check up in such a long time I was having nightmares about what they'd find. I was very lucky - despite needing a good clean everything was okay and I didn't need any work. I was a gibbering wreck the day of seeing the hygienist who was I have to say amazing. She was lovely, kind and very gentle - so very different from the last one I'd encountered. Yes it was a bit uncomfortable but not painful at all. I tearfully hugged her afterwards I was so relieved! :)

I'm back in a couple of weeks so she can do the other side and whilst I'm not looking forward to it I'm not having nightmares about it either. The feeling of finally getting over this fear is amazing. The pains turned out to be nothing more than 'burning mouth syndrome' which thankfully seems to have relented in the last few weeks.

Anyway, thank you all again. You're all an inspiration and this forum has been an amazing help.

Liz