Thread: Redheads and dental pain/difficulty numbing

Default Redheads and dental pain/difficulty numbing

I have read a few articles about people who are redheaded being more susceptible to extreme dental pain and having a very difficult time getting numb. I am a redhead and have both of these issues, which I do believe fuels my anxiety of the dentist! I have had many dentists not believe me when i would tell them that I am not numb and continue on with the procedure causing more pain than necessary. I was just wondering if it was me, or if there are any fellow redheads that also have this issue?

Default Re: Redheads and dental pain/difficulty numbing

It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless

I have a section of my mouth that will not be numb for some reason, but I am not a redhead. I think its something else to do with our genetics.

redhead and yes this has happened to me it also wears off very quickly. Usually I having feeling back before I leave the office. Last time it only worked for about 30 minutes. This is also true for IV anesthetic. It takes a lot more for me and the wake up time is a lot shorter I also have acurate recall when I am twilighted (makes me wonder what would happen under full sedation....really hope I never find out)
      Edit to add i may have missed the extreme pain sensitivity. I'm not sure though because usually I have a pretty high pain threshold overall. Has garnered a few mentions from my dentist lol so either I have a tolerance or she's not good with pain...
      Last edited by tigerstripedred; 6th September 2017 at 09:09.