• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Redheads and dental pain/difficulty numbing

M

Minerswife1026

I have read a few articles about people who are redheaded being more susceptible to extreme dental pain and having a very difficult time getting numb. I am a redhead and have both of these issues, which I do believe fuels my anxiety of the dentist! I have had many dentists not believe me when i would tell them that I am not numb and continue on with the procedure causing more pain than necessary. I was just wondering if it was me, or if there are any fellow redheads that also have this issue?

I have a section of my mouth that will not be numb for some reason, but I am not a redhead. I think its something else to do with our genetics.

redhead and yes this has happened to me it also wears off very quickly. Usually I having feeling back before I leave the office. Last time it only worked for about 30 minutes. This is also true for IV anesthetic. It takes a lot more for me and the wake up time is a lot shorter I also have acurate recall when I am twilighted (makes me wonder what would happen under full sedation....really hope I never find out)
Edit to add i may have missed the extreme pain sensitivity. I'm not sure though because usually I have a pretty high pain threshold overall. Has garnered a few mentions from my dentist lol so either I have a tolerance or she's not good with pain...

Last edited:
Back