• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared. To. Death!

T

tjoloff

So last summer I found out I was pregnant. Ever since then, it seems like my teeth have gotten worse. Well, last week, I bit into a frozen (didn't know it was frozen) cupcake. My front tooth broke and now its really loose. I finally made a dentist appointment because I know I need to go. But I'm so terrified. I don't eat because I literally cry every time I think about my tooth. It sucks. Advice needed.

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. In my case it turned out I needed either a root canal and crown or extraction. I went with the extraction, which I regret. I actually had the money at the time but in the very beginning in my "autonomous" life (living without the parents), felt insecure and didn't wanna lose the back up money I had.

At first (hadn't been to the dentist in like... about fifteen years I think), I was scared, and my teeth were really bad at the time. But after the first visit I could have told you; it's really not bad at all. It's not enjoyable, sure, a stranger playing in your mouth and all. But in terms of pain, there's nothing to worry about. The needle stings for a few seconds, but after that it's smooth sailing. If you have an abscess and the pain is killing you; the visit to the dentist will actually be very soothing. At least with the various abscesses I've had, it was always a relief when came the time to walk out the door.

In the end, pick a good dentist, and the issue will be resolved quickly and the repaired tooth will be as good looking, if not better looking than the original :).

Since all my teeth are bad, are they going to pull them all at once today? Or can they just do that one and schedule the rest another time?

You'd be surprised how bad your teeth actually need to be before requiring extraction. I had the same fear as you that they would have to take them all out, but when I finally went in, turns out he could save almost all of them. I was younger, stupid and had no income so I had a few extracted still, but the rest was fixed with fillings.

The first appointment is the hardest. They only way to know for sure is to go. Also know that the longer you wait, the worse it will be, and the costier/longer the process will be.

So I went in yesterday (tuesday). So glad I did! My dentist was super understanding why I hadn't been to one in over 10 years. All he did was xrays and scheduled a cleaning to see what teeth he can save and what teeth need to go. Wasn't too bad actually. I did cry a lot though before I went in lol.

Hey, well done for going! That was super brave.

The cleaning will be good. It will get your save-able teeth in top condition. Don't panic too much about the later work needing done. Take it as it comes. It sounds like you've got a really nice, understanding dentist.

Hang in there. We are here if you get anxious about future appointments. :hug4:

Back