• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Stitches disolved 5 days post op?

H

Halfwise86

So last Thursday I had both lower wisdom teeth removed under sedation, thanks to some orthodontic work as a kid I get to keept the top two - hence the name.

My concern at the moment is that the left hand wound's sutures seem to have either disolved prematurely or as sweling has gone down the flap has come loose, its currently 01:20 here so can't really get in touch with anyone for advice till the morning.

Can the flap be reclosed sucessfully? Does it need to be, or can it still heal naturally from here?

Aside from a rather tender haematoma on the right hand wound everything had been going well up until tonight, or at least better than I had expected. Moderate swelling which has now more or less subsided, no socket pain at any point... perhaps some nerve damage as my tongue is still somewhat numb though it is improving daily, went from numb for a few days to a "that coffee is way too hot" sensation, though even that now seems to be receeding.

Cant say I relish the thought of having the flap resutured but if needs must I guess I have no choice.

Hey!

I just had all four of my wisdom teeth out about 10 days ago :) I can say though, my stitches didn't come out before I saw my dentist again after surgery, and that flap is still there. According to my dentist and everything I have read about the process, it is normal! The stitches are mostly to help with the clotting process. My dentist gave me a syringe to spray water and clean them out after eating. However, it takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months (sometimes even longer!) for these "flaps" to fill completely as they heal from the bottom up.

They are annoying but shouldn't be painful/bloody for too much longer! No need to panic :) I am in no pain and haven't had any bleeding probably since day 5. EVERYONE has a different experience though :)

If I misunderstood what you're asking or am completely off base (I'm no expert, just going through the same experience) everyone please feel free to correct me :)

Back