• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

|The Ostrich method|

• Thread starter Rufus T Firefly
  • Start date
R

Rufus T Firefly

Tomorrow I have an apointment with the dentist, A phrase I often see used on here is :" I finally plucked up the courage..", It wouldn't be entirely accurate for me to say that, as this is perhaps the 4-5 time over the last ten years that i have finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment , what is perhaps different on this occasion is that previous times when the motivation had taken me to address the horror show that is my mouth I would contact a dentist and not be able to get an apointment for over a month which was enough time to ruminate and talk myself out of it, this time I went on the website on Monday and I have an appointment tomorrow.

Its hard to explain why I have tolerated dental pain , extreme body image issues and more as a result of my bad teeth, . I think after years of practicing the 'Ostrich method'(patent pending) its become a kind of default setting , sure I cover my mouth when I laugh, can only eat certain foods haven't smiled in years but most of this is unconscious and automatic. In fact I didn't realise how bad they really were until last night when I looked at them in probably the first time in three years. the thing is as much as I may bemoan people making judgments about me based on my teeth, If I am capital H Honest, I judge people with bad teeth as much as I hate to admit it.

I feel incredible shame over not only my teeth but the difficulty I have with anxiety over the dentist, I work as a Psychiatric nurse, Last week I facilitated a workshop for 8 patients entitled 'Distress tolerance':doh: .

I expect I will need complete extraction on the top . on the bottom the lower front aren't great but seem intact , though My preference would just be to get rid of the lot and start with a completely clean smile.

I will update tomorrow after my appointment , and hopefully throughout the process

So I went to my appointment today, Firstly , as is often said here the 24 hours leading up to my appointment were probably far worse then than the 15 minuets i spent in the chair. I tried to think of how i would advise someone who was in my situation and among other things the most effective way to relieve my pre-appointment anxiety was good old distraction , I took my dog for a walk , listened to music, watched some netflix, I also tried to break it down into stages so firstly I just just thought about catching the train, and then to find the street e.t.c..

I have to give credit to my dentist she really was fantastic at making me feel comfortable and I never felt like i was being told off or thought ill off. Disappointingly the X-ray machine was not working so have to go back on Friday , She confirmed what I already knew that my upper is a complete write-off and will refer me to the dental hospital for removal under conscious sedation , However she said it wouldn't be possible for me to have an immediate denture and I would have to be toothless for 3-4 months:scared:. It was made out to me that with multiple extractions an immediate denture isn't possible but that is incongruous from what I have read on this this forum . can anyone advise on that?

Heya Rufus, well done for starting your journey.....I was very much like you, then eventually enough was enough and I actually bit the bullet and started treatment. Many tears and much shaking/trembling later it was agreed that a full clearance was the way to go with immediate dentures fitted. I actually can't believe that i finally had the guts to sort my tooth situation out.....now for the healing and then permanent dentures in 3 months. The only thing different is I got referred to Bristol Anaesthetic clinic in Clifton.....cannot recommend them enough!x

I had an appointment on Friday to go back in because , as I mentioned when I visited the first time her xray machine was faulty. I was really anxious the night before my appointment because I was going to be seeing a different dentist to the last I time visited . I found that coming on here to read my post to remind myself that the previous experience had been fine , so there was no reason to believe this appointment would be any different it helped a little but I was still up to the wee hours stressing.

When I got to reception the lady at the desk told me I didn't need to go in today they would do my xrays at the hospital and I was to now wait for my referal. I was pretty annoyed at the dentists for waiting till i came in to tell me until I got home later and noticed a answer phone message from them left on Thursday afternoon:redface: .

I checked the website of the hospital I have been refereed to and the average wait time from referral to assessment is 11 days, the average time till oral surgery ( I assume it comes under this) is 15 weeks from referal.

I guess the time isn't too bad pragmatically, but I think a small part of me optimistically thought I would be lucky and everything would be sorted in a few weeks. I am feeling pretty low at the moment and self conscious , they could of only got this bad by me not thinking about them, I don't think anyone has ever talked to me about them, so they have been easy to ignore. since I have started I thought thought of little else from when I wake to when I sleep. I just want to lock myself in a room and hide until its all over.
I have decided when I get my new teeth I am going for a new look , I have always had a full beard and longish hair , the day I get my teeth I am going to have a shave and get a haircut

Thanks Ally! you asked in your thread where in bristol I was I grew up all round north Bristol, lived in St Werburghs for a few years but live near Cheddar now.

Heya Rufus, is there no way you can ask to be referred to Bristol Anaesthetic Clinc? From my initial appointment with my dentist to the day of extractions was 7 weeks, would have been 5 but my immediates weren't ready in time. Although I have had a moan, cry and generally felt down today, I know that the treatment I've had will be so worth it in the end. I just need to keep reminding myself that it's only been 48 hours since having it all done and to be easier on myself.....though love my new smile, not quite right yet as still a bit swollen but so much better than what was there before! Finding this forum has been amazing, so much good, friendly advice from people that have been there and done it .....right, painkiller time lol!:jump:

:hmm: I may actually, as far as I know whenever your referred within the NHS you have a right to choose where you have your treatment. I have to call them on Monday with my NHS number as I don't think they have officially sent off my referral yet so I will ask. Did they also take the imprints for your new gnashers there? only i'm still a little worried by the prospect of not ending up with imeadiates .

Hey Rufus, my dentist sent my referral straight away and the clinic called me four days later to make an appointment. My impressions were made by my dentist and I picked up my immediates the day before surgery. I would really reinforce on the dentist your preference for immediate dentures, my dentist wasn't keen as they are hit and miss but when I told her my reasons why I wanted them she agreed as long as I understood the possible disadvantages along with the advantages. I've just done day 3 and I'm not going to lie, it's hard but the thought of no teeth versus a smile and confidence keeps me going :)

Thanks for that, I called them today and I have been referred to the Bristol dental anesthetic clinic, so the next stage is to wait for a call from them , So I guess I will ask them when I have my consultation about getting immediate dentures , I understand that it is an imperfect situation but it is surely the preferable of two imperfect options.
With perspective I am a little upset that my dentist refused me them it it taken me quite a lot effort to get to the appointment so I perhaps was not as assertive enough and the way she explained it to me was as though the procedure was not possible, she said that I was free to get a second opinion but I don't think I had my options properly explained.

Morning Rufus, I'm so glad you can go to Clifton....I was treated by Mr Newby and he was amazing, really put me at ease. All the staff there are lovely and it's a really relaxing environment.....nice furniture, like a normal front room/lounge not a waiting room. Definitely keep pressing them for immediates....I'm 5 days in today and still learning to talk properly but I've been out and about, carrying on pretty much as normal which I certainly wouldn't have done toothless. Good luck, keep me updated ?

There hasn't much to update so I haven't logged on recently. being feeling miserable and trying not to think about it. I had answerphone message today saying that they had my referal form but needed me to come into sign it before they can send.Its all a little frustrating because i'm trying so hard not to resort to my default method of avoidance and they keep throwing up opportunities to revert to type .

I have somewhere near the surgery on Monday anyway so its not to much of a problem . just throws up more delays

So went in and signed the referral:( it felle like my third vist could of all beenavheved in one, but anyway its done now. Also a big positive was I read over the notes of the referral and it does seem I will be getting immediates perhaps the dentist was just not very clear when she explained it.

sorry feeling very down:cry: . will continue to update as this process develops.

Back