• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My daughter's jerk dentist

K

KolgateKitty23

Former Member
Hi, so my daughter had to switch dentists because are insurance didn't cover our other dentist, which really sucked because her old dentist was SO nice. I took her to my dentist even though she was scared as scared could be, I felt so bad but it was the only place we knew. So we take her there, and the head dentist (I'll refer to him as Richard) says she had 3 cavities. That made my daughter feel really bad because she takes care of her teeth. It's funny because when she was ~5 they said she had 2 cavites AT THE SAME PLACE!! At her old dentist, in the 3 years we went there she never had anything. So we take her to her old dentist to get them filled and she luckily had no pain and no problems and said the cavities weren't as serious as he made them out to be. When she was 5 she got them filled at her Richard's dentistry and they didn't use any numbing or anything on a 5 year old! She wouldn't open her mouth to let him fill the other one because of the pain! So we go back to Richard's for a semiannual checkup and the nice hygienist checks her teeth and everything is fine. Than Richard is about to come in, but guess what? He makes my daughter sit in the chair for about 15-30 minutes while he chats to the assistants in the hallway. My daughter clearly isn't happy siting in a chair with a napkin on her chest, and Richard acts like nothing's going on. So he finally comes, and says to my daughter "How many cavities do you have, 7?". I was like "REALLY YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO SAY THAT TO AN 11 YEAR OLD", but didn't say it out loud. She was about to cry because he said it an a very serious and degrading tone, but nooooo he's joking. Very funny. Joking about getting 7 holes drilled in your teeth is just hilarious. So then Richard says my daughter needs braces for her deep bite, and says to his assistants "Give me the braces pamphlet". The assistant acidently gives the wrong one and he yells "NOT THAT ONE THE OTHER ONE" to his assistants at the top of his lungs. I really don't think anyone likes to be screamed at like they blew up the world when they only almost gave out the wrong pamphlet. He just gives a pamphlet and dosen't give her a referral sheet or anything. What is he waiting for? Should my daughter wait 6 years and be a senior in high school? That's what he's inferring. One kid in my daughters class got braces when she was 7. Does Richard think an 11 year old is to young? Do you think Richard's cavity joke was very rude too? Do you think we should just take my daughter to an orthodontist before he says to? Thanks for reading-
KolgateKitty23

says she had 3 cavities. That made my daughter feel really bad because she takes care of her teeth.

That reminds me of my older brother. I never took care of my teeth and (at least when I was a kid) frequently got away with having no cavities - but my brother was diligent about cleaning his teeth and at one appointment, walked away with EIGHT separate cavities.

He makes my daughter sit in the chair for about 15-30 minutes while he chats to the assistants in the hallway

In all honesty, 15 minutes in the chair while chatting with assistants in the hallway isn't that bad. It helps to view it as maybe that was the first bit of a breather that the dentist had gotten all day.

He just gives a pamphlet and dosen't give her a referral sheet or anything. What is he waiting for?

Because a lot of times, parents like to think over the decision to get their child braces without feeling like they're being strongarmed into it by having referrals/appointments booked for them. My brother and I both needed them as kids, but financially, my parents were barely making ends meet - and certainly didn't need a doctor trying to shove an additional $6000+ expense down their throats unless it was medically necessary.

Does Richard think an 11 year old is to young?

It's a distinct possibility. My niece is turning 10 this year and her orthodontist wanted to give her jaw as much time as possible to try and straighten itself out naturally before resorting to braces (They originally thought they'd need an expander on her upper palate, but it worked itself out). It also comes down to the kid. Is your daughter at an age where she would be responsible enough to tend to the braces? Wear the rubberbands as required? No chewing gum or sticky candies? Brushing and flossing between the brackets, etc.

Do you think Richard's cavity joke was very rude too?

It was a poorly timed joke, sure - but I don't necessarily think he meant anything by it. When I was six or seven years old, I bit my dentists finger - and it became a running joke between the office staff for years. When they would tease, it wouldn't be to hurt my feelings or make me upset - it was just a way to lighten the tension.

Do you think we should just take my daughter to an orthodontist before he says to?

I mean, I think you probably could - but what's the hurry? The stigma around braces is mostly gone now - Your daughter might even qualify for invisalign, depending on the problem that the braces are meant to correct.

Back