• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just had my first dentist visit in around 10 years !

D

dentalfear91

After reading similar accounts on this forum about people with fear of going to the dentist and reading how they managed to finally start going again after years i decided it was time to do this for myself. I would say its been around 10 years since i last went and i was fearing the worst to be honest. Im 26 now and would say the last time i went i was around 16. I was really nervous leading up to the appointment especially whilst sitting in the waiting room. However It really wasn't as bad as thought it would be the dentist was really friendly and was not judgemental at all about not going in so long.

It turns out i need 3 fillings (one of which i knew i would need as there has been a slight pain in that tooth when i bite down a certain way for a little while, turns out there is a little hole in it) And 2 others one of which the dentist said wasn't very severe but after looking at an x ray decided it was best to get it done. Also made an appointment with the hygienist for a cleaning.

All in all i was reasonably surprised after it being so long i was expecting to be told i would need many extractions. And be left either needing some form of denture or trying to pay for implants on finance which i cant really afford as they are so expensive. Also do not think I could cope with the implant procedure.

Going for filling number 1 in a couple of weeks, pretty nervous about it but hopefully it will be fine. Once thats done i will hopefully book in for 2 and 3 asap.

This is almost my EXACT story except one of my molars is actually fully cracked.

What made you think you need extractions? I am still confused how a dentist would say you need an extraction if you have NO pain or symptoms of bad teeth? But was it just anxiety that made you feel this way or something you read?
I am also worried about many extractions when I visit in 2 weeks (I am abroad at the moment) but I have NO VISIBLE TEETH problems so don't know why they'd say extractions?

But also so pleased you went, I feel like I just neglected it forever too but feel slightly worried about the upcoming appointment!

I guess it was just down to my anxiety and the fact I had teeth pulled when I was a lot younger and they didn't hurt either so I wasn't sure why they were getting pulled. This was when I was fairly young I had to go in to hospital and be put to sleep to have them removed. I can't even remember It very well but it must of been around 14 years ago. This was also a factor in not going to the dentist in so long as that experience put me off and that dentist was never very good. Everyone I know that went to him switched in the end.

You should definitely go I'm glad I did even though I'm still anxious about it. I think it's just about finding the right dentist the one I went to see was fantastic and just wanted to help the best she could. I'm looking forward to getting the upcoming treatments out the way and hearing her say she doesn't need to see me again for another 6 months.

Hope you keep us updated on how your appointment goes and good luck !

Back