• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scheduled my first appointment in 6 years today..terrified

W

WT09142015

I am 21 years old and haven't been to the dentist in 6 years. I was without insurance and my parents didn't have the money to afford it for the bulk of that time. I graduated college recently and started working full-time at a company with great benefits, including dental insurance. I've been full time since January, but haven't been able to muster up the courage to go until recently. I am getting married in October and wanted to get my dental issues addressed before the wedding.

I know that my back molars have multiple cavities in them on the bottom on both sides. Will these just require one filling if all on the same surface? I also see a "crack" in the tooth in front on the left side, and am not really sure if this counts as a cavity or not. I'm pretty sure my top molars all have cavities in them too. Recently, i noticed a brown spot on a front tooth and the tooth kind of started hurting. I guess that means I'll have to get a filling in a front tooth too, which kind of scares me.:( I've also noticed pockets in my teeth when flossing.

I guess my biggest fear is that I am going to go in there and they're going to tell me I have 20 cavities and periodontal disease and I have some 4 month treatment plan, or I need root canals, or worse, I'm going to lose all my teeth. My appointment was made today for Tuesday morning and I just know that I am going to spend the entire weekend worrying about it. I'm also kind of embarrassed, because my Fiance has perfect teeth and here I am with this train wreck. I'm afraid the dentist is going to be disgusted by how bad my teeth are and I'm not ready for the onslaught of "you should brush better" or "I can tell you don't floss regularly" remarks that I know I'm going to get.

My mom keeps trying to reassure me that it isn't going to be that bad by telling me that my dad didn't go his entire life until they got married at 19 and he only needed some fillings, but it really doesn't help. Anyway, I guess this is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't make it any less stressful. Thanks for listening.

please go to the dentist asap because i waited 10years. I cant say what or how many cavties you have . what I can say is do not be embrassed to go after only 6years, use that dental insurance asap so you can use it again after it maxes out. I was like you but I have supposedly perdiontal diease and idk dentist make money anyway lol. Make sure your brushing a flossing as told by your dentist, I had bleeding gums and didnt like flossing but its healthier in the long run and my gums stoped bleeding. fyi you might be able to ask to get a teeth whitening done before your weeding. Youll be fine when you go maybe a crown or two but thats easy, get them fixed before it gets worst.

Agree with the above user please try and see a dentist as soon as you can, even though I go regularly I ended up with an abcess which was not fun (I have a massive overbite, wonky teeth, overcrowding problem) so ended up going back to the dentist for an emergecy appointment, which needed the root canal redone which was not fun.

Good luck