• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Paid medication after wisdom teeth removal

M

mmgolden

I am getting four impacted wisdom teeth taken out in two weeks. I am 28 years old and I have been putting it off because they don't bother me and I am afraid of the risks of surgery. I go to the dentist regularly and he has been on me about getting them out so I finally went to the consultation with the oral surgeon and he believes I should get them out as well. Fortunately, he thinks they should be easy to remove because of their conical shape.

I am getting I.V. sedation so I shouldn't remember the procedure. I think I am more nervous about the recovery! I haven't had any type of surgery and the extent of dental work I have had done are fillings.

My question is about the pain medication. I have never taken anything stronger than ibuprofen or tylenol and I am sure they will prescribe pain killers (like vicodin). Do you take the prescribed pain killer before the numbness wears off? Or do you take ibuprofen and only use the prescribed pain killer for break through pain? What did you do?

I know you're supposed to eat something before taking the prescribed pain killer because it can make you nauseous. But how can you eat right after surgery?

Thanks for your help!

I had my surgery last week, and the pain killer I got should be enough as its for moderate to severe pain. Although I got lucky that I wasn't experiencing any unbearable pain so I didn't actually need them. My oral surgeon gave me a paper of instructions after the surgery. It did say you can take the medicine before the numbness wears off. After 24-36 hours it says you can stop using the medicine and use ibuprofen for pain instead. The paper says I could eat anything as long as it didn't hurt even right after surgery was done. Just as long as you don't use a straw for the first day, its unlikely what you can tolerate to eat will hurt the extraction site.