• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partially Erupted Wisdom Tooth with only Local Anesthetic: easier procedure?

N

NotQuiteSnowWhite

Partially Erupted Wisdom Tooth with only Local Anesthetic: easier procedure?

I'm getting my wisdom tooth out on Friday because it is infected. I get to keep the other three, it's the one on my bottom right that has to go. It's at an angle, and is partially erupted, so the dentist said that it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm still afraid. I've had oral surgery in the past and had a really bad experience, and I'm planning on just having local anesthetic since they said it should be a pretty short procedure, but my question is this: is it a faster and easier procedure if it's local anesthetic and the tooth is partially out? I have no work or obligations for the rest of the day, and I work at a library where I mostly sit behind a desk. Do you think I should be able to work the next day? I'm really frightened by the idea of the numbing injection and the recovery time. What do you all think?
Thank you so much :(

Re: Partially Erupted Wisdom Tooth with only Local Anesthetic: easier procedure?

I'm getting my wisdom tooth out on Friday because it is infected. I get to keep the other three, it's the one on my bottom right that has to go. It's at an angle, and is partially erupted, so the dentist said that it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm still afraid. I've had oral surgery in the past and had a really bad experience, and I'm planning on just having local anesthetic since they said it should be a pretty short procedure, but my question is this: is it a faster and easier procedure if it's local anesthetic and the tooth is partially out? I have no work or obligations for the rest of the day, and I work at a library where I mostly sit behind a desk. Do you think I should be able to work the next day? I'm really frightened by the idea of the numbing injection and the recovery time. What do you all think?
Thank you so much :(

I just removed my wisdom teeth with local anesthesia. Mine were fully erupted I believe though, but if you're are partially erupted it should probably be similar. Honestly doing it with local anesthesia is great, because you don't have to get put under, and you don't have as much recovery time. I had my two top wisdom teeth pulled out in around 35 minutes (including the time for numbing, so the actual extraction probably took 15 minutes) and was fully functional after, since it's just your mouth that is numb. You will 100% be able to work the next day, you'll just be on painkillers, which would be the same if you were doing general anesthesia or IV anyways. The injection is really not bad at all. Ask them if they have any numbing gel they can put on the injection site to numb the gums a bit first, that helps it not be too bad. I barely felt the needle during the first injection, and after the first injection, you're already numb enough that you'll not feel any of the others.

Re: Partially Erupted Wisdom Tooth with only Local Anesthetic: easier procedure?

Its been 3 weeks now since that friday. Everything will be well in a few weeks time :)

I had my bottom two taken out early this year and they were partially erupted.

Back