• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified of loosing my teeth!

N

Neurotic101

I have receding gums that make my bottom teeth look awful, i hate to smile. I have just changed dentists (MY OLD ONE WAS BRUTAL) as having prkblems with my top front tooth due to gum disease and was told that i have bone loss and the tooth needs to come out.... if thats not bad enough thry also said that my whole mouth has bone loss.
I am so scared to go and have my hygienest app as my teeth and gums hurt so much. I also dont want them to look any worse than they already do. Ive thought about a gum graft for my bottom teeth, but is there any point if i already have bone loss? And there is movement in many of my teeth. I am petrified of loosing them. Im sure it would cost a fortune to have multiple implants which i cant afford.
Although i hate my teeth i didnt think they were that bad, they certainly dont look as bad as some pics ive seen, i have no decay, good teeth but awful gums. I was looking for some hope from my dentist but left feeking hopeless. Im only 38 and the thiught of having dentures makes me want to cry. Im annoyed with myself as shld have gone to a hygienest years ago but left it too late. Apart from my kids, have had rubbish few years and little to smile about, now finally things are good and i have a terrible smile.
I can literally think of nothing but my teeth, im anxious all the time about it, worried about what may happen and what options i have and how much its going to hurt! Need some positive thinking but finding it hard!

Hey, welcome to the forum :)

Gum disease is so hard to deal with. It's annoying to treat, and much of the damage is sadly irreversible. It's also very common, we have people coming on here all the time with the same issues. So it totally sucks, but at least you're not alone.

I can't give you any specific advice about grafts or anything. You need to ask your dentist about all your long-term options. Many people can't afford implants, though bridges and partial dentures often suffice to fill in missing teeth, especially visible ones. I know the thought of dentures, even partials, is really upsetting, but they're more common than you think. You've probably met plenty people, young and old, with either partial or full dentures, and just never known it! I got full dentures when I was quite young, and no one can tell. The three main priorities should be a healthy mouth, a nice smile, and the ability to eat well. Bridges and dentures can totally give you that if you lose teeth and implants are not an option.

Gum disease feels like a death sentence, but it's not. And it doesn't make you a lesser person. Keep up with your hygienist appointments, ask for numbing if it hurts (you shouldn't have to be in pain), and ask your dentist about the long-term. Explain your worries. Hopefully they are a good dentist and will give you some good, clear info.

And finally, just hang in there. I promise you'll be okay. :hug4:

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I understand exactly how you feel. I have major bone loss due to gum disease and I know all too well the fear and embarrassment that comes with getting in that chair for the first time and allowing a professional to see what you consider to be your train wreck of a mouth. The only advice I have to give is that you absolutely should do everything you can to work the problem. It won't get any better if you don't do anything about it, and the longer you go on like this, the less options you will have.

I just joined this forum today because while I am fortunate enough to now be in a financial position to have full mouth implants (I am having what is left of my teeth extracted at the ripe old age of 41), I am scared stiff of the procedures I am going to need endure before I can have a healthy and pretty smile again. It also took a few months to accept the fact that I would be losing the rest of my teeth, as it is not something that is easy to deal with psychologically. Lots of crying and anxiety to the point where I could barely eat anything or sleep.

I know what you are going through is difficult, but I do hope you will be able to find light at the end of the tunnel and renewed hope that you too can have restored health. The unknowns are the most difficult in this, that and finding acceptance and a new way to look at our situations so we can be hopeful instead of anxious.

Thanks for replying! Definatly makes me feel a whole lot better than my dentist did! My previous dentist kept saying it wasnt that bad and cd prob save my front tooth. I had to change as visiting him hurt too much! My new dentistvsaid tryimg to save that tooth is like shutting the stsble door after the horse has bolted! I have a constant absess above it but hsve to wait another month before i can have it out as my dentist is on holiday! Green tea bag seems to be easing the abcess though...who knew that actually worked! I think alot of my stress is money too....its costing me 450 just for one extraction and one denture, and all these cosmetic dentists ive looked at online seem to have hidden costs. I feel better reading the replies, you are right, im not alone in feeling this way.
It does help to think that dentures and bridges work for alot of people, and that they dont look too bad ither. The hygienest is my main worry, i sm convinced that this is going to be a terrible experience that will hurt like hell and leave my teeth wobbly and exposed...more than they already are. I wish i could just wake up in the morning with a whole new set!!

I know what it's like to wish for that! :p

Fair warning, your mouth probably will feel different afterwards. But it won't actually be as different as it feels - any tiny change feels like a big deal to your tongue. And because it's your mouth, you're kind of constantly low-key aware of it. When something changes in it, you really notice. But it'll be good for your gums in the long run. Just try tell yourself that.

You shouldn't have to be in pain during treatment. Don't be afraid to speak up if you are. Hopefully the hygienist will be gentle and patient.

Thanks for replying! Definatly makes me feel a whole lot better than my dentist did! My previous dentist kept saying it wasnt that bad and cd prob save my front tooth. I had to change as visiting him hurt too much! My new dentistvsaid tryimg to save that tooth is like shutting the stsble door after the horse has bolted! I have a constant absess above it but hsve to wait another month before i can have it out as my dentist is on holiday! Green tea bag seems to be easing the abcess though...who knew that actually worked! I think alot of my stress is money too....its costing me 450 just for one extraction and one denture, and all these cosmetic dentists ive looked at online seem to have hidden costs. I feel better reading the replies, you are right, im not alone in feeling this way.
It does help to think that dentures and bridges work for alot of people, and that they dont look too bad ither. The hygienest is my main worry, i sm convinced that this is going to be a terrible experience that will hurt like hell and leave my teeth wobbly and exposed...more than they already are. I wish i could just wake up in the morning with a whole new set!!

To wake up in the morning with a whole new set....I said the exact same thing today!:)

Thanks guys, it does really help, hygienest this coming week so we shall see if firstly i manage to drag myself there and secondly...no.....there is no second point yet, im still working on the first!?