• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ashamed and need some help

Thanks Enarete, it means a lot to me.

I know that I'm probably going to freeze and panic when on the phone, but if I managed to ring one, it will be an achievement.

I'll get there eventually.

Thanks Enarete, it means a lot to me.

I know that I'm probably going to freeze and panic when on the phone, but if I managed to ring one, it will be an achievement.

I'll get there eventually.

I am having problems making a appointment myself, even now as I lay here thinking about going and doing it Right now, my anxiety is spiking and my heart rate is fast. I just want this over with, my bad teeth, my embarrassment, everything. I am too ashamed to ask my mom to make the call for me, I am 23 years old and want to be able to do this myself! Ugh. :/

I am having problems making a appointment myself, even now as I lay here thinking about going and doing it Right now, my anxiety is spiking and my heart rate is fast. I just want this over with, my bad teeth, my embarrassment, everything. I am too ashamed to ask my mom to make the call for me, I am 23 years old and want to be able to do this myself! Ugh. :/

I know how you feel. I want to get it over and done with and to get over my embarrassment. I feel so anxious about making a phone call but I've got to do it. I've got to. My heart is pounding, but I have to do this.

Dear BlueStarsGalaxies, I don't know your exact situation, but if you don't feel like asking your mum to make the appointment, don't. You don't have to. Being afraid of the dentist is such a vulnerable place to be and it all starts with taking care of yourself and paying attention to what you feel and what is right for you. Don't push yourself into anything that doesn't feel right for because at the end it won't ease your fear. And always take your time with anything because there is no need to rush.

The first contact to a practice is such a precious thing because it has the potential to be your first positive experience. If it doesn't go well you can cancel the appointment and find an another practice you feel better with. If it goes well you not only have an appointment but also a little bit more confidence on your journey.

It's so encouraging to talk to a receptionist who reassure you to recieve good care and to go at your pace. Who tells you that they are looking forward to see you? To tell you not to worry and that you are welcome to contact them any time you have questions of need anything?

I am writing this without knowing your exact situation but I really hope that you have a choice and can take your time with the appointment. Beating dental fear is not about managing to make one appointment. It's about gently coming back to confidence so you don't have to be afraid anymore.

frostgirl, this is great. Being so afraid but knowing you have to do it: that's courage. So congrats on it and I am absolutely convinced that you will eventually make your appointment.

Don't forget to keep us updated :)

frostgirl, this is great. Being so afraid but knowing you have to do it: that's courage. So congrats on it and I am absolutely convinced that you will eventually make your appointment.

Don't forget to keep us updated :)

Thanks Enarete

I'm going to try ringing one of the practices I've found this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll keep you updated :)

Right. I'm going to try ringing one now.

My heart is pounding and I feel sick. But I'm going to do it.

Here goes...

Well, after a few minutes of staring at the number after I dialled it into my phone, I pressed call. And my phone won't let me ring out. I can receive calls but not make them :confused:

I'll try again in a few minutes.

Well I did it. I've made an appointment. I've got an appointment on October 18th at 10am :o

I am shaking like a leaf now though. Oh my god. I can't believe I actually made the phone call and made an appointment.

I feel like I'm going to be sick though with all this anxiety.

Frostgirl! You did it!!!! :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: Congratulations to the further step! Don't worry about the shaking, that's just the adrenalin you have right now, it will get better in a while. I had it after every mail and every call.

How was the call? Were they nice?

Frostgirl! You did it!!!! :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: Congratulations to the further step! Don't worry about the shaking, that's just the adrenalin you have right now, it will get better in a while. I had it after every mail and every call.

How was the call? Were they nice?

The call was okay, I'm shocked that I managed to ring one.

The receptionist was nice, and was calm when I was trying to get my words out, I always worry that people will get annoyed at me for not being able to talk well when I'm panicked. But it was a good first impression.

I'm just so worried about how the first appointment will go.

Well I've managed to calm down a bit more. I took my dog out for a walk and the fresh air did me some good. I still feel a bit shaky though, I've got to find a way to stop shaking. I only get like this when I'm nervous or hungry, and I've just stuffed my face on pizza as a slight reward for actually making an appointment.

Don't mind I'm just rambling away here.

Well I've managed to calm down a bit more. I took my dog out for a walk and the fresh air did me some good. I still feel a bit shaky though, I've got to find a way to stop shaking. I only get like this when I'm nervous or hungry, and I've just stuffed my face on pizza as a slight reward for actually making an appointment.

Don't mind I'm just rambling away here.

Thats great! You have made a huge decision that can only make your life better-you deserve the pizza!:jump: