• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Here goes...

A

ab697

Today my partner and I started looking for dentists in the area (recently moved to Norway). We based our search on ratings from other people and whether the dentist had confirmed if they are good with anxious patients or not. It has been over four years and I feel my teeth are in a horrible state. Going to start ringing around on Monday to try and find the best possible fit for me.

Here goes...

Hope you find someone really good!! Theres such a wide variety out there.. Mine said he specialized in anxious patients on his profile and really he is awesome... and goes the extra step to make you feel comfortable, listening, explaining, taking time, humor. just really really good. I hope you find this for you both!!

Today my partner and I started looking for dentists in the area (recently moved to Norway). We based our search on ratings from other people and whether the dentist had confirmed if they are good with anxious patients or not. It has been over four years and I feel my teeth are in a horrible state. Going to start ringing around on Monday to try and find the best possible fit for me.

Here goes...

My first appointment is on Tuesday and I am incredibly nervous! I have a lady dentist and she knows that I am an anxious patient so hopefully it all goes well and is not as bad as it seems!!

Hopefully I can calm myself down on the day

Appointment went well and it looks like I only need one filling (where a previous filling fell out) and one tooth extraction. Having the filling on Thursday and I'm nervous for the injection. The dentist seemed really friendly though and tried her best to reassure me.

I thought I needed way more fillings but she said that the tooth surface is hard (even though it looks like a cavity) so it isn't actually one. I don't know if I feel completely satisfied with this but they haven't caused me any pain so I'll just have to see how it goes.

That is GREAT!! I hope she is gentle and good with injections. nowadays if they are good you can not even feel the pinch.

My appointment is in half an hour and I am freaking out! Had multiple anxiety attacks throughout the night. Just want to get it over and done with!

Who would have thought a filling would cause this much emotional stress!

Next time I post it'll be done

Ok I went and now I have a brand new filling!

My dentist really is lovely. I told her I was feeling anxious and that I didn't want to see the needle (so she told me to close my eyes). My partner went with me and held my hand throughout the entire procedure which helped to distract me, although after the injection everything else was absolutely fine and I managed to stay calm by focusing on my breathing.

The injection itself was so much better than I thought it would be. I lay awake for so much of the night feeling sick and anxious and hopefully I won't go through that again. It felt like a scratch and that was all. And the most important part to me was that it was completely manageable. My dentist even waited until I was ready (I've had awful experiences in the past where they have got angry at me for 'prolonging' the experience etc because I've been crying or whatever). It took in total about 40 minutes from sitting down in the chair to leaving the office.

I have to go back on the 27th to get a tooth extracted and from then on it will be check ups. Although this filling was very close to the nerve so it was lucky she could put a filling in. There is a strong possibility I will need a root canal in the future but I will have to deal with that when I get to it.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on here. You inspired me to just do it and it turns out that it was a really good appointment and my fears are just fears and not a reality.

Tomorrow is my tooth extraction and I am quite nervous. However not as nervous as last time (so far) so I count that as a win!

The things I am most nervous for are the injections (of course) although I know that they won't be bad at all and will definitely be manageable so that is helping to keep me calm. I am also nervous about what I could feel. I have never had a tooth extracted before so I don't know what it is like. My dentist has said I won't feel a thing and I do trust her but I guess because I haven't experienced this before I have to do it to believe it. The last thing I am nervous about is the pain afterwards. I have tried not to read other people's experiences on here in case I make myself more anxious. I really hope that this is the last visit I will need for a while and that the pain won't be too bad but again, I will have to do it to know.

One thing I do know is that once it's done I will be so proud of myself! I can do this :)

Tomorrow is my tooth extraction and I am quite nervous. However not as nervous as last time (so far) so I count that as a win!

The things I am most nervous for are the injections (of course) although I know that they won't be bad at all and will definitely be manageable so that is helping to keep me calm. I am also nervous about what I could feel. I have never had a tooth extracted before so I don't know what it is like. My dentist has said I won't feel a thing and I do trust her but I guess because I haven't experienced this before I have to do it to believe it. The last thing I am nervous about is the pain afterwards. I have tried not to read other people's experiences on here in case I make myself more anxious. I really hope that this is the last visit I will need for a while and that the pain won't be too bad but again, I will have to do it to know.

One thing I do know is that once it's done I will be so proud of myself! I can do this :)

AB! Please update?

It's tomorrow so I'll update you then :)

My anxiety is 6/10, maybe 7 and I am about to go to my appointment. I'm very nervous but also excited. This will mark the end of my dental journey as far as having work done goes (until the next time they find something).

Will update once it's done :S

Good luck! And please let us know how it went! Always happy about a success story :)

Good luck ab697 let us know how it goes!

Good luck ab697 let us know how it goes!

I got there and she explained the process to me as well as how many injections and where they would be (this was the most important part for me). The first injection felt like nothing, although she injected very slowly so I could feel something there but no pain. The second I felt a slight pinch but after that nothing. As soon as this was done I felt way more calm.

She started trying to extract the tooth which had 3 roots. There wasn't much left to pull on so it was probably a difficult extraction although I don't know for sure having never had one before. She had to drill the tooth to split it into 3 and then pull the roots out. I had my eyes closed the whole time. After about 20 mins she left the room to get another tool and I asked my partner if she'd got anything out yet to which he replied that she had got 2 out already. I was so shocked because I honestly didn't feel any of them come out (although I felt her pulling).

She came back and got the last root out and then washed out the gap with salt water/ cleaned me up a bit. It went so much better than I ever thought it could and now I just need to focus on following the instructions to try and make the recovery as best as possible. I still can't quite believe that it's done!! I've got some stron painkillers and just going to try and ride out the recovery as best I can.

Thanks for all your support!!

:jump::jump::jump::jump: Glad to hear you made it through!! Sounds a bit trying.. but you did it!! Glad your partner was there with you too!!

Good to hear you made it through:jump:

Awesome, you did it! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Back