• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture after extraction

M

Malibu1209

IMG_4932.JPGI had two teeth out today, no where near as bad as I thought it would be and only took half hour for that to be done and a filling too.
One tooth looks great but the other one looks dreadful. He said I will need to have another fitted in a couple of months but that the gum will change over the next few days and it will look better. But even now just later the same day it looks worse not better
I'm not sure if the denture is made wrong or what but it's dreadful as the top part of the tooth is coming out at an angle.
Will I have to put up with this for a couple of months like he said or will they make me another if it doesn't look much better once I'm healed? I feel great about the other side and really positive experience today but so self concious about this dodgy one.

Was going to add pictures but can't see an option to? Ok I can but gone in weird positions

Attachments

• IMG_4934.JPG
    IMG_4934.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi that is wrong and you need another one making now. It usually takes 6 months for your gums to shrink back and heal not two months. I would go back and ask for another denture to be made this is rubbish, how are you supposed to eat with that.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if I was being unrealistic with my expectations but it's horrible and I can't see how it could look better than it does now. Aside from how it looks it doesn't feel as though it will fit properly on the roof of my mouth because the tooth is so far forward
I am worried about taking it out for bed and then not being able to get it back in tomorrow?

yes, take it from someone who "returned" a really bad fitting denture myself. I was hestiant to bring it back, I felt like I was "asking too much" in a sense, or being a bother. but... thats there job to give you functioning and good dentures that are good to look and feel!! I brought mine and said these are awful.. my dentist at the tiem, did redo them and it was better so worth it!! never hurts to ask for sure! especially deentures are not cheap either.

Thankfully they were free on the NHS as I have a maternity card valid till February.

I've taken it out now for bed as advised but I don't remember them saying how to store it. Do I just put it in a pot? In water?

They gave me a container , i fill with water and a little cleaning tablet. to behonest sometimes I just do wter and forget the cleaning tablet

They didn't give me a container will have to buy one. Have put it in some water, hoping it might look better in the morning.
I'm gutted it's such a poor fit as touch wood so far been easier than I thought actually having it done and since but I was so self concious as just looked so strange ?
I think I need to save up for implants

Just a little update, went back this morning because I wasn't happy. Healing up great and he immediately agreed that it wasn't a good fit. Took new impressions and has kept the denture to have it altered or remade I'm not sure. So got to be gappy till Thursday afternoon which isn't great but at least it will be sorted and hopefully fit better and hopefully less of a lisp if it's more secure ??

So glad to hear this Malibu!! You will feel so much better when you get decent dentures in!! I had to go gappy for a few weeks while they fixed mine.. its not optimal but worth it! :)

Just a little update, went back this morning because I wasn't happy. Healing up great and he immediately agreed that it wasn't a good fit. Took new impressions and has kept the denture to have it altered or remade I'm not sure. So got to be gappy till Thursday afternoon which isn't great but at least it will be sorted and hopefully fit better and hopefully less of a lisp if it's more secure ??

So glad to hear this Malibu!! You will feel so much better when you get decent dentures in!! I had to go gappy for a few weeks while they fixed mine.. its not optimal but worth it! :)

It was so worth it! They fit perfectly, look great and been able to eat and drink completely normally with them in. Spent about the last eighteen months or so worrying that my teeth would break or having food get stuck it's actually better now than it has been in a long time. So glad I went back and got them altered

Hi good for you for going back and getting the dentures fixed. I would have been surprised if your dentist had been happy to leave you with these. They aren't always right when people get them as most people have impressions taken before teeth are removed so it is a bit of a guessing game.

Dentists expect us to return if we aren't happy or are worried, this gives them a chance to correct things. I am so pleased for you that now you are happy and can eat. It would be nice to see a photo of the new teeth that fit correctly. You don't have to if you don't want to it's just me being nosy :ROFLMAO:

Congratulations to you :yayy::yay::yay::yay::wow::perfect: and to your dentist of course :dance2::butterfly:

Thanks Carole, I couldn't be happier with these ones..well I guess my own teeth being back and healthy would be nice but this is the next best thing.
Looking at the photo it's the canine on the right hand side, next tooth along was filled the same day and is now grey not sure if that's normal? Looks less grey in life though.
and the other false one is the opposite side one back from the canine.

IMG_5019.jpgIMG_5015.JPG

You're looking good :jump::respect: I am so pleased for you that you are now happy. Perfect :cheer::cheer2::cheer2::dance2::whirl::perfect::butterfly:

Back