• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Booking an emergency appointment tomorrow- First appointment in 15 years!

W

welshsarah

I know I said a few weeks ago, I was going to gain up the courage to go to the dentist and book an appointment. Well I didnt :( Its so easy to make excuses when the kids are home and distract yourself with many other things. But Iv got a large abscess in my gum above one of my broken teeth. And its at the point now, where I am desperate to go. I haven't been feeling so well -lack of energy-loss of appetite and Im sure its all connected to this abscess.
I did something extraordinary today. I told my other half I needed to see the dentist because of the abscess. Thats a big thing for me. To mention anything about teeth, I normally ignore the conversation and try and change it. But I am definitely booking the appointment tomorrow.
The thing im worried about is not the pain-or the instruments. Its the actual embarrassment of telling them how horrible and bad shape my teeth are, and them looking back at me like im a bit simple. I am absolutely petrified and so scared but also a tiny bit excited. I know that sounds daft. Im excited because I am finally getting the help I have needed for such a long time. Excited because this is the start of getting back my life! Wish me luck. I will also check in here tomorrow night and up date on whats happened.

Re: Booking an emergency appointment tomorrow- First appointment in 15 years!

Hi don't worry they will have seen worse. Sometimes what we think is really bad isn't as bad as we think. Even if we look after our teeth and do everything we are advised to do by the dentist it is still possible to get an abscess. Don't dwell on what you didn't do in the past look forward to your new and healthy mouth when you have had the treatment you need.

Good luck and all the best to you for tomorrow :butterfly:

Thank you so much. I am trying to find the words in what I am going to say tomorrow when I call for an appointment and I do not know what to say to get the ball rolling. As soon as the kids are in school Im ringing them. So nervous but it needs to be done now.

WelshSArah,

Im the same way.. Even though I know my dentist and hygenist I found are super sweet and nice I still suffer major shame and I still get nervous even calling my current office. the self talk that goes on in my head isn't good . Just know once you get through the selfalk and shame stuff. if you get to a good office they will put you to ease and you will come out feeling so much better .... and if you don't.. maybe try another.. its the small steps that count!! :)

I just hope I dont end up with someone who doesn't make me feel so much worst. Telling me my teeth are bad, fine, tbh if they told me they had to rip out all of them and give me dentures- it will be a relief but I really dont want them lecturing me or looking at me like i'm dirt :cry: I couldn't cope with that :cry: .

Did you read reviews? webpage? call , email? get a good feel.. I feel better hearing good from others.. so i go to all the review sites..I also straight up emailed my dental office and said.. i'm a really anxious patient I'm really scard etc. I could tell by their understanding compassionate tone I wanted to give them a try and I'm super glad I did. my dentist is so sweet, I almost WANT to go back sooner lol

Ringing to make the emergency appointment in 5 mins. So nervous. Not sure what to say.

So I rang the emergency dentist and apparently they said that my condition doesnt qualify for an emergency and to look at dentists and see if I can book an appointment. I have no idea what to do now. How can I tell if a dentist is taking on if theres no details online.

EDIT: Iv managed to get an appointment in 2 weeks. Feeling a little worried because the abcess is quite large and sore and im feeling a little unwell. Dont know if its concected but- low energy, loss of apetite. But at least I have a date.

Last edited:

Sorry for all these posts but..... I have an appointment tomorrow at 4.20! I have never been as excited before for a dentist appointment.

Very glad to hear you have one tomorrow!! Relief !! I hope they are very kind and good to you!!

Good for you, you should feel really proud of yourself :respect::respect::respect:

All the best for tomorrow let us know how you get on Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Good luck tomorrow. I hope it goes well and they can help you feel better. ?

So I been to the dentist. It went really well. My dentist is amazing and he looks a little bit like Ranj from Cbeebies. He was lovely and very sympathetic. Had lots of time to talk. The receptionist was lovely too. You almost think to yourself, why didnt I do it sooner. But nobody knows how dental phobia can take over your life. I have to have 3 extractions, some fillings and a possible root canal which I am nervous about. I really thought it was going to be worst than what it was. Feeling hopefull.

Wow.. sounds great and doesn't hurt at all he looks like Ranj! :0. step by step right.!! So know.. the anxiety and overthinking is just second nature.. I find myself doing it way more than I want to even though I have such a kind adorable dentist myself. :0. and my hygenist is just an angel!! This is soooo nice to hear Welshsara!!

So I been to the dentist. It went really well. My dentist is amazing and he looks a little bit like Ranj from Cbeebies. He was lovely and very sympathetic. Had lots of time to talk. The receptionist was lovely too. You almost think to yourself, why didnt I do it sooner. But nobody knows how dental phobia can take over your life. I have to have 3 extractions, some fillings and a possible root canal which I am nervous about. I really thought it was going to be worst than what it was. Feeling hopefull.

Congrats and well done :jump::jump::jump: Not as bad as you were thinking then WhoooooooooooooooHooooooooooo:respect:

Don't be worried about the root canal they aren't bad at all, I have had a few and they are very peaceful and very easy to sit through. They take a bit longer longer than a filling but nothing to get worried about.

Good luck for your next appointment and how lucky for you to have a wonderful dentist that has made you feel confident about getting the treatment you need. Sounds like he is a keeper :dance2::yayy::claps::butterfly:

Back