• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Today first visit to dentist in 20 years !!!

C

carmac34

Well I am 43 and today I finally made it to the dentist after 20 years and a lot of pain. And it was ok. My dentist didn't judge me and went through everything with me. And by the end of the year I will have a smile!!!
Over the years I have taken broken teeth out myself, been in complete agony with abscesses and even in the last year or so I couldn't even chew or bite anything. Basically my mouth is a complete catastrophe. I have been in some real low points recently because of the state of my teeth.
Next week I get impressions taken then 2 weeks later have what remains of my top teeth taken out and an immediate denture put in. I'm as scared as hell but I'm determined to get my life back. Thank you for reading x

Wow... Huge step for you!! take it step by step! I also feel my teeth are a "complete catastrophe".. many times I lay awake thinking about it.. You are in the right place, to vent, process it and get encouraged along the way!!

Thank you. I felt a bit silly at the end of the appointment, I cried. Don't know if it was relief or fear or whatever but it felt so good coming home and telling family I finally made it in to the dentist!

I would have stopped at the bakery and bought a huge chocolate cake for myself .. :) that is huge.. and now you have some momentum to build off of :) :jump:

Thank you. I don't think there was a happier person than me today. I know today was the make or break. I am scared of everything that will be happening over next few weeks but I know I will be happy with the results. When I explained everything to the dentist she was amazing. I thought I would be judged or thought that they wouldn't be able to help me but was very wrong about that. Telling my kids was wonderful too, can't wai to have a smile in a family photo.

Keep us updated as to how things go along the way and if you get nervous you have a bunch of us here who completely understand :)...

Thank you. Next Thursday afternoon is for measuring up. Think that will be ok but I'm worried in case my teeth come out with the mould lol.

I have actually joked with my dentist about that.. me being nervous hiding it in humor and he reassured me, the one that was doing it. and it put me a llittle more at ease.. hopefully it doesn't happen much and at least you'd be at the right place for them to cement it right back in :) but it will probably go great :)

So so happy for that first step. It's the hardest! You did it though. Here's the start to your new smile. It's a long process but don't give up. You will feel much better afterwards! Yay for you and what you've already done ! (((Hugs)))):jump:

Thank you everyone. I told those close to me at work today. Didn't really know how to approach it but they have been fab and supportive. And they looking forward to seeing me smile they said. My granddaughter bumped her head on my mouth today and now my loose front tooth is hanging on with a thread I'm sure. ? I just hope that a few weeks from now I will be ok. I feel that I am actually looking forward to appointment next Thursday to get measured up.

Congrats on going. That took a lot of courage. You're going to feel like a new person once you have a new smile. Good luck at your next appointment. ?

I know how you feel! I hadn't been for 17 years - which is how old my fillings are and they are still going strong. I had my front teeth removed last night and have a temporary bridge fitted and I can finally smile! I'm getting my permanent bridge in a few months. It helps if you find a really good dentist - I have and he has just been wonderful. So I guess I'm going along the same journey as you - I've been amazed at how pain-free it has all been - Wouldn't say it was exactly a pleasant experience but I've haven't had any pain which is fantastic. I too felt really silly and embarrassed but I'm so proud of myself for doing it as 17 years ago I chickened out due to the attitude of the orthodontist. So I've made myself a home-made trifle!! Have to eat soft foods for a few days - that's my excuse. Best of luck to you, you will be fine and well done.:)

So today was the impression day. Wasn't the best of experiences. :( but I did it. The dentist was great. Took bottom impressions first and one of my bits of broken tooth came out at the back. But was ok really. Then came the top. So my front top tooth is really really wobbly and dentist said before she's done mould that it might come out with it. She was really nice about it and made sure I was still ok for her to go ahead. The top was mega uncomfortable and the tooth came out with the set mould :( I could have cried :( but the dentist asked if I wanted her to try and put it back in. She did, it is literally just balanced in my mouth :( anyway, that was the crap bit, good news, my new top bits will be ready soon and I have an hour and half appointment on Wednesday 4th October to get the ones out I need and my new set fitted straight away so in around 12 days I will be able to smile :). Might not be able to talk or eat tho hahahaha. I really found it a great relief knowing I have taken the next step. Go me :)

Well done you!
You must feel so proud and quite rightly so.

Well I am 43 and today I finally made it to the dentist after 20 years and a lot of pain. And it was ok. My dentist didn't judge me and went through everything with me. And by the end of the year I will have a smile!!!
Over the years I have taken broken teeth out myself, been in complete agony with abscesses and even in the last year or so I couldn't even chew or bite anything. Basically my mouth is a complete catastrophe. I have been in some real low points recently because of the state of my teeth.
Next week I get impressions taken then 2 weeks later have what remains of my top teeth taken out and an immediate denture put in. I'm as scared as hell but I'm determined to get my life back. Thank you for reading x

Great job on your end! My mom goes to the dentist infrequently and doesn't have a smile because of it :( but you're being proactive so you will. This is great!

Just want to say.. you are doing amazing.. wow.. your experience with the impressions was a bit rough with the coming out there, but you did it!!! and are on your way to a new smile!!!

So a wee update. Just over 24 hours since visit to dentist and my top front tooth coming out in the mould and getting stuck back in, it's back out ? It was so uncomfortable and just sort of hanging there. I couldn't even drink :( so I just wiggled it a bit till it fell out again and I have decided just to bugger it and leave it out. It's 12 days out the rest of my life before I get my new teeth so I'm sure I will get over it. But I must say, I look and feel really awful. And now my other front tooth beside it feels really weird. So 12 days. I will be ok. I'm trying to convince myself here. My most scary bit is I'm working tomorrow !!! I'm gonna look a bloody fool. This is going to be the longest 12 days of my life ?

Just over a week to go. Next Wednesday is the big day. I'm getting more and more worried but I am so determined. I have been walking about all week with this horrendous gap at front and bits keep coming off other teeth. Told u they were a catastrophe. I'm nearly there. One week to go. I can do this.

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: you made it this far... you got this!!

Just over a week to go. Next Wednesday is the big day. I'm getting more and more worried but I am so determined. I have been walking about all week with this horrendous gap at front and bits keep coming off other teeth. Told u they were a catastrophe. I'm nearly there. One week to go. I can do this.

It WILL be worth it! In a few days time you will be feeling differently about all this-it's going to be fine!

Back