• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment on Monday!!

K

kitty240791

So where to begin...I'm absolutely terrified about going to the dentist on Monday. I haven't been in around gosh 10 years I'd say? I'm only 23 but I have some very bad anxiety disorders and suffer agoraphobia as well so that's what's kept me from getting my teeth worked on. Definitely not a good enough excuse for not going but sadly that's been the main thing keeping me from taking care of myself.

The reason for me taking the plunge and finally stepping up and going is the fact that while eating lunch one day my front tooth felt like it had food stuck between it when actually it was a piece of the tooth that had vertically come out. That's a place you can't hide when talking or smiling. I knew at that point I couldn't put this off for any longer fears or no.

I'm just so so embarrassed that I haven't been in so long. I'm embarrassed at the condition of my teeth (I eat a LOT of sugary drinks and chewy candies weekly) I have pain when eating these sweet candies in certain areas of my mouth. I haven't suffered any unbearable pain but I do have pain and sensitivity that needs to be addressed. My biggest fear is that i'm gonna have like 25 cavities and need like 10 root canals or teeth pulled. That would be so expensive and it'll be humiliating for the dentist to see how bad I let my teeth get. :shame:

Also I don't see many dark spots on my teeth however on the bottom of a tooth on top like underneath it I can see a lot of dark on one in particular. Does that indicate a root canal is needed? I won't need to have the tooth pulled will I?

Thanks guys and glad there's a forum where we can vent our fears with each other.

Hiya!! Well done you for plucking up the courage and making an appointment. I think, its best sometimes to just go and have a chat with the dentist about what you will need doing rather than worrying. It may not be as bad as you think, and they can honestly tell you, how things are.
Good luck and well done for being so brave. :)

Hiya!! Well done you for plucking up the courage and making an appointment. I think, its best sometimes to just go and have a chat with the dentist about what you will need doing rather than worrying. It may not be as bad as you think, and they can honestly tell you, how things are.
Good luck and well done for being so brave. :)

Thank you! It's the waiting I think that kills me the most haha. The not knowing. I've been waiting for over a week now and "what ifs" are driving me crazy.

Try not to worry. I have anxiety disorder too, so I understand. Whatever you can do to keep your mind off it, try to do. You've taken the first step to good oral health by making an appointment. Whatever condition you think your mouth is in, it's never as bad as you think. They will make a treatment plan with you to get everything taken care of. The first thing they can do is a cleaning and even that will help restore a lot of your confidence and relieve your anxiety. As you get your teeth taken care of, you'll feel like you've gained control over it, and you'll feel a lot better. So try to stay positive. I promise it'll be worth it in the end because you'll feel like a huge weight has been lifted from you. ?

Back