• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help Panicking and Nervous about Teeth Cleaning (ULTRASONIC)

S

Sherm07

Hey everybody im new to this site. I have general anxiety disorder and have not been to a dentist in over 15 years. I finally got dental insurance thanks to my job and finally had the courage to book an appointment in 2 weeks!

Man! Really Nervous! I have been freaking out and crying for days without getting sleep. I know im a big baby lol really want to keep canceling but i dont, because i know this is something i must do.

My teeth are in fairly good shape but i do have inflamed receding gums and have a lot ( and i mean a LOT) of plaque and tartar build up in the back of the bottom row of my teeth. I brush with my oral b "Floss-Action electric tooth brush. use listerine ultraclean to mouth wash and a water flosser.

I cant take any oral sedatives (valium) x ativan x benzos) since they give me more anxiety and give me bad side effects (intrusive thoughts/hallucinations). cant take nitrous oxide since since it gave me a bad effect when i was a kid and made me rush into the ER. Dont like to be sedated either.

My doctor said to try and take Benadryl before the appointment to help me relax and be drowsy. My dentist and hygenist offered topical gel. im not afraid of injections or lidocaine. im just afraid of the ultrasonic scaler and how much pain im going to feel with all the plaque and tartar. ive seen a lot of video online and people have said "ITS THE MOST PAINFUL THING EVER" if you teeth and gums are sensitive (which mine are).
People have even said it hurts with numbing of the gums and teeth. dont feel like drowning either lol My hygenist is amazing and said she will take care of me but i still feel sick thinking about all the pain.

If anyone has gone through this pls help me calm down and id love to hear how you go through it.

Is there things i can do before hand to help with the cleaning? Does numbing it really help or will i still feel more pain? any help or advice would be great! thanks for reading hope to hear from you guys soon :cry:

My dentist and hygenist offered topical gel. im not afraid of injections or lidocaine. im just afraid of the ultrasonic scaler and how much pain im going to feel with all the plaque and tartar.

Does numbing it really help or will i still feel more pain? any help or advice would be great! thanks for reading hope to hear from you guys soon :cry:

The whole point of the topical gels (would work for the gum sensitivity) is that you feel no pain. If your tooth enamel is worn away (it probably isn't) to the point that all your teeth feel sensitive then numbing by injection would do the trick but it is rare to need that.
Dental hygiene can be unpleasant and painful but it doesn't have to be, even without gels/numbing. The attitude of the person treating you is likely to be the key thing. It sounds like they intend to keep you comfortable from what you have said. I am sure they will offer you a raised hand stop signal which will make you feel in control and you likely won't need to use it.

It would be more common to be numbed by injection for a deep cleaning:

I think you will be fine. Good luck.

Sherm

I was REALLY afraid when I had to do my first deepcleaning this year !! and I mean REAllY.. I watched a bunch fo youtube videos and was convinced my teeth were going to fall out after and the bacteria was "proteting" my teeth from falling out.. I thankfully have an angel for a hygenist!! its the only reason I actually showed up because I love and trust Judy but I loved and trusted her more after this. She was SO patient and kind and didn't talk down to me as ridicolous as I must have sounded.. she was so nice.. and They numbed me up so I didn't feel it. I felt a poke or two and as soon as I did they gave me more novocaine. I had almost no pain or sensitivity after . and my teeth felt so much better , there were not looser, I had worked myself up for nothing and now I will not be worried for next time.. but I do feel for you i was in that same place before this happend.. I hope you have a good and gentle and patient hygenist like Judy was for me...

Kelly

Don't get your information from online videos. People aren't going to make a video saying "oh, my cleaning went okay, bit uncomfortable but nothing bad" are they? By looking online, you're guaranteed to get the scare stories, and sometimes those stories aren't even true, just people making it up for views.

I've never heard *anyone* say that a cleaning is the most PAINFUL THING EVER. Not once! Communicate with your hygienist if you're in discomfort. They should take care of you and make you more comfortable. You won't be lying there in agony, no matter how much tartar you have. :)

The whole point of the topical gels (would work for the gum sensitivity) is that you feel no pain.

Dental hygiene can be unpleasant and painful but it doesn't have to be, even without gels/numbing.

The attitude of the person treating you is likely to be the key thing. It sounds like they intend to keep you comfortable from what you have said. I am sure they will offer you a raised hand stop signal which will make you feel in control and you likely won't need to use it.

I think you will be fine. Good luck.

Hello Brit! Thanks so much for that info and word of advice. I do believe i am i good hands with my hygenist Allie yet i do worry a lot especially with the "what ifs" running through my head. But its a great idea to speak with my hygenist and see what we can do as well to make my cleaning more comfortable! Thanks again Brit for calming my lil anxiety down. :)

Sherm

I watched a bunch fo youtube videos and was convinced my teeth were going to fall out after and the bacteria was "proteting" my teeth from falling out.. I thankfully have an angel for a hygenist!! its the only reason I actually showed up because I love and trust Judy but I loved and trusted her more after this. She was SO patient and kind and didn't talk down to me as ridicolous as I must have sounded.. she was so nice.. and They numbed me up so I didn't feel it. I felt a poke or two and as soon as I did they gave me more novocaine. I had almost no pain or sensitivity after . and my teeth felt so much better , there were not looser, I had worked myself up for nothing and now I will not be worried for next time.. but I do feel for you i was in that same place before this happend.. I hope you have a good and gentle and patient hygenist like Judy was for me...

Kelly

Hi Kelly!

Thats so crazy to hear you say that cause whenever theres something wrong with me have either have to check youtube or google or web MD. Then i always figure theres something wrong with me which is far more worse than what im feeling and relate to it. But im so happy to hear you say that you overcame your fear and saw that there was nothing to be worried about. I too have an amazing hygenist allie who i believe will hellp me and take care of me. I forsure am numbing my mouth! do not want to feel anything!! Thanks again for your reply Kelly! You helped ease my anxiety down :grin:

Don't get your information from online videos. People aren't going to make a video saying "oh, my cleaning went okay, bit uncomfortable but nothing bad" are they? By looking online, you're guaranteed to get the scare stories, and sometimes those stories aren't even true, just people making it up for views.

I've never heard *anyone* say that a cleaning is the most PAINFUL THING EVER. Not once! Communicate with your hygienist if you're in discomfort. They should take care of you and make you more comfortable. You won't be lying there in agony, no matter how much tartar you have. :)

Hi Sevena!

You are absolutely right! Looking up things online is a horrible idea but with my anxiety, i always have to check online to see whats wrong with me. So i always end up freaking my self out! All the tartar and plaque on my teeth need to be remove. Im also worried about the numbing topical gel and injections. I will talk to my hygienist allie and hopefully she can take care of me (and i know she will)! Thanks again for the reply and helping ease my anxiety Sevena!!;D

That is what is so great about this site, we're not alone! ... so many times , I feel a bit crazy for my thoughts and worry, and what ifs.. the what ifs drive me crazy. my implant what ifs are crazy right now.. what if it all fails. my big one is "what if they drop something down my throat.".. I've put that one right out there with my dentist.lol. it really does help to have a good team, dentist and hygenist! Allie sounds great and caring!!! Hope they numb you up good :).. let us know how it goes!!

Hi Kelly!

Thats so crazy to hear you say that cause whenever theres something wrong with me have either have to check youtube or google or web MD. Then i always figure theres something wrong with me which is far more worse than what im feeling and relate to it. But im so happy to hear you say that you overcame your fear and saw that there was nothing to be worried about. I too have an amazing hygenist allie who i believe will hellp me and take care of me. I forsure am numbing my mouth! do not want to feel anything!! Thanks again for your reply Kelly! You helped ease my anxiety down :grin:

That is what is so great about this site, we're not alone! ... so many times , I feel a bit crazy for my thoughts and worry, and what ifs.. the what ifs drive me crazy. my implant what ifs are crazy right now.. what if it all fails. my big one is "what if they drop something down my throat.".. I've put that one right out there with my dentist.lol. it really does help to have a good team, dentist and hygenist! Allie sounds great and caring!!! Hope they numb you up good :).. let us know how it goes!!

Oh man! Im praying for ya Kelly. Im kinda embarrased about this whole situation since its just a regular cleaning. I just have been to a dentist in 15 years so i really dont know how things are going to go and i get so worked up. But thank god for this site! WE ARE NOT ALONE!

Also Kelly, im starting to get worried about numbing my teeth now. how does it feel? i do panic and have anxiety and i heard it may take longer to work. is it scary? will you have a hard time breathing? does your tongue and mouth go numb to? how did it make you feel? Thanks again Kelly!:redface:

Sherm,

i am always nervous about the shot!! My dentist was a complete angel about it the first time I had him, really understanding and calming. and literally he told me to close my eyes, and I didn't even know it had been done.. it was crazy.. with him. I didn't feel the pinch on nearly all.. the very last one. I did feel about 2-3 seconds of slight pinch , but not pain. One time my Dentist actually sat down and explained to me how to not make it hurt, use the topical, make sure its room temperature, and slow delivery, putting it in at a slow pace. with all that.. closing your eyes and breathing. you don't even feel it. But I straight up told my dentist immediately , Hey I don't like shots I'm really nervous.. type of thing.. he could probably tell by the way I grabbed the assistants hand and have her the death squeeze that I was really serious about that lol. I also was nervous to have the hygenist give me the shot, after my dentist did such a perfect job I said I wanted him, they were both so nice about it. but she ended up giving me a few when i needed more and she was amazing too!! I do worry about them dropping it down my throat and my throat or tongue being numb. I told him again straight up front about this fear and he is really careful with it! So I think if you put it straight out there they will be really conscious of your fears and considerate of them :) You will have to let me know how this goes! Allie sounds great just like Judy my hygenist. :)..

Oh man! Im praying for ya Kelly. Im kinda embarrased about this whole situation since its just a regular cleaning. I just have been to a dentist in 15 years so i really dont know how things are going to go and i get so worked up. But thank god for this site! WE ARE NOT ALONE!

Also Kelly, im starting to get worried about numbing my teeth now. how does it feel? i do panic and have anxiety and i heard it may take longer to work. is it scary? will you have a hard time breathing? does your tongue and mouth go numb to? how did it make you feel? Thanks again Kelly!:redface:

Sherm,

i am always nervous about the shot!! My dentist was a complete angel about it the first time I had him, really understanding and calming. and literally he told me to close my eyes, and I didn't even know it had been done.. it was crazy.. with him. I didn't feel the pinch on nearly all.. the very last one. I did feel about 2-3 seconds of slight pinch , but not pain. One time my Dentist actually sat down and explained to me how to not make it hurt, use the topical, make sure its room temperature, and slow delivery, putting it in at a slow pace. with all that.. closing your eyes and breathing. you don't even feel it. But I straight up told my dentist immediately , Hey I don't like shots I'm really nervous.. type of thing.. he could probably tell by the way I grabbed the assistants hand and have her the death squeeze that I was really serious about that lol. I also was nervous to have the hygenist give me the shot, after my dentist did such a perfect job I said I wanted him, they were both so nice about it. but she ended up giving me a few when i needed more and she was amazing too!! I do worry about them dropping it down my throat and my throat or tongue being numb. I told him again straight up front about this fear and he is really careful with it! So I think if you put it straight out there they will be really conscious of your fears and considerate of them :) You will have to let me know how this goes! Allie sounds great just like Judy my hygenist. :)..

Oh man a great sigh of relief haha thanks Kelly! but i also wanted to know what you felt when you were numb? did your entire mouth and tongue go numb? were you able to breathe? how was your jaw and mouth after? So to bug you just really nervous lol

No, the whole mouth and tongue did not go numb.. only one quadrant they were working on . and actually as it wore off it kind of tickled? lol .. My dentist and hygenist , KNEW I did not want it to go anywhere near my throat or tongue and they were extra careful not to drop any of the anestheic in those areas.. if you make it clear ahead you are afraid of this. They will most likely really be careful. I was definately able to breath. I really don't like ANYTHING in my mouth. lol so i have to super concentrate on not gagging and just breathing. After the numbness I was fine..as it was wearing off it was almost tickly at the end. no bother at all.. lol I'm the same way.. believe me!!! I have another appt in a week and a half. and I'll be on here nervous again..lol

Oh man a great sigh of relief haha thanks Kelly! but i also wanted to know what you felt when you were numb? did your entire mouth and tongue go numb? were you able to breathe? how was your jaw and mouth after? So to bug you just really nervous lol

No, the whole mouth and tongue did not go numb.. only one quadrant they were working on . and actually as it wore off it kind of tickled? lol .. My dentist and hygenist , KNEW I did not want it to go anywhere near my throat or tongue and they were extra careful not to drop any of the anestheic in those areas.. if you make it clear ahead you are afraid of this. They will most likely really be careful. I was definately able to breath. I really don't like ANYTHING in my mouth. lol so i have to super concentrate on not gagging and just breathing. After the numbness I was fine..as it was wearing off it was almost tickly at the end. no bother at all.. lol I'm the same way.. believe me!!! I have another appt in a week and a half. and I'll be on here nervous again..lol

Wow thats awesome! Thanks so much for that info Kelly! you dont know how much you are help me and my anxiety out right now. Thanks God for you and this website. Dont worry what ever dental probelms we have we can both get through them. :XXLhug:

Yes!! We will all get through them, we are taking the first step being here and being encouraged by each other.. :). Lord knows I need it , when I start overthinking and worrying about things..which we are all prone to do . Every story of success small or big is an encouragement. And our teeth are worth it and WE are worth it!!! :)....

Also.. If it were me.. I would not do JUST the topicals. My opinion here, but it really doesn't give you the level of pain relief that injections can! and once they give you the topicals. then you don't feel the injections.. maybe someone HAS done just the topicals and was fine?

Also.. If it were me.. I would not do JUST the topicals. My opinion here, but it really doesn't give you the level of pain relief that injections can! and once they give you the topicals. then you don't feel the injections.. maybe someone HAS done just the topicals and was fine?

I heard that the topicals are great for a regular routine cleaning but injections are more for deep cleaning and teeth pain. I was wondering the same thing as well. too see if they can just numb my entire gums with an injection while still using topical gel. Do you think injections can numb the entire mouth? im really curious. and i was wondering about the side effects. Topical gel over your mouth with an injection? can you imagine how numb you will feel.

Good question. I was thinking deep cleaning which is what I had.. yes, I've had just topical for regular cleaning and it worked good.. just in spots where it really was sensitive. lol. that would be a trip with your whole mouth numb .

I heard that the topicals are great for a regular routine cleaning but injections are more for deep cleaning and teeth pain. I was wondering the same thing as well. too see if they can just numb my entire gums with an injection while still using topical gel. Do you think injections can numb the entire mouth? im really curious. and i was wondering about the side effects. Topical gel over your mouth with an injection? can you imagine how numb you will feel.

If you need anesthetic injections, insist on it! Don't let them do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. Two of my bottom front teeth still have tartar because no dentist was in the office to numb me when I had my teeth cleaned last month. Those two need the ultrasonic and the hygienist didn't want to hurt me. She even let me swish and spit because the water hose hurts. I could call and schedule an appointment any time a dentist is in the office to get these two teeth done. That's how it should be. Don't be afraid to insist on injections. Your physical and mental comfort is the only thing that matters. ?

Good question. I was thinking deep cleaning which is what I had.. yes, I've had just topical for regular cleaning and it worked good.. just in spots where it really was sensitive. lol. that would be a trip with your whole mouth numb .

See and thats what im nervous about lol i really cant decide whether to do the regular cleaning with topical gel or with an injection. Or with both? Lol i get so nervous just thinking of this.

Explain to Allie all your concerns and I bet she will know exactly how to proceed with minimal pain and discomfort to you!!

Back