• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my experience with wisdomteeth removal

G

Guildenstern

i had to have my lower right wisdomtooth removed and i was definitely scared.
where i live, the common practice is for the dentist to remove the teeth unless they think it's too difficult, in which case they refer you to an oral surgeon.
My case was difficult so to the OS i went.
They used local anaesthetics (they only use general anaesthetics in clinics for severely frightened people)
it wasnt a particularly comfortable experience and they hit my nerve twice, which really hurt.
but in the end the tooth was out and i went home. (i biked home because i lived only 2km from the clinic)
Then the really fun part came: my face swelled to the size of a balloon and i couldnt properly eat or drink for 2 weeks. I had trouble sleeping because of the swelling and after 4 days the hole somehow started bleeding again.
Unfortunately, i was now visiting family and i was quietly freaking out because of the 'dry socket/infection' fear.
when i woke up on day 5 it had stopped bleeding but it started again after a few hours. Such fun.
BUT i had no real pain so i didnt really worry about dry socket anymore....
After about 14 days from the extraction i could eat proper food again but my right side still felt funny, kinda tingly, sometimes with a twinge of pain.

Anyhow... im 2 months from the extraction now and i have come to the conclusion that i have slight nerve damage, as my lower right jaw still feels kinda funny, but less than before (im certain it will completely heal though).

If you have any questions id happily answer them :p
Thanks for reading
and GOOD LUCK

Back