• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What are possible outcomes? No good teeth left.

M

minionherder

Hi,

Long term dental phobic, 40 yrs old.

Normally get sedated for even smallest procedure. However now over 5 years since last appointment.

Last time I went I'd had a recent filling fall out and the dentist wanted me to let him grind down a sharp bit without any sedation or anesthetic. I felt quite pressured and let him but then never went back. It was very similar to what I think triggered all my dental fears. (First solo trip to dentist at 13 years old dentist refused to let me go till I'd had filling, couldnt even leave chair.)

Anyway to cut it short, only have about 20 teeth left as I've had many extractions over the years due to my lack of care and dental care. Now every single tooth in my mouth has something wrong ranging from small holes to sheared off at the gum.

What is likely to be the recomended course of action. Removing broken and badly holed teeth will leave me with around 12 teeth all with fillings. Really dont like this option as I only get about 2 years out of a filling and end up putting off getting the loose filling sorted resulting in another gumline tooth. Till I pluck up the nerve to go back.

Is it more likely I will have them all removed and get a set of falsies? If this is the course of action is it done by the dentist or at a hospital? I'm not too bothered if its the course of action best suited for me.

Just had the last tooth I thought was ok crack around an old filling and can feel the hole getting bigger by the week, cant really put this off much longer. Hence my attempt to pluck up the nerve to ring the dentist again.

Location, Liverpool UK

Hi,

Long term dental phobic, 40 yrs old.

Normally get sedated for even smallest procedure. However now over 5 years since last appointment.

Last time I went I'd had a recent filling fall out and the dentist wanted me to let him grind down a sharp bit without any sedation or anesthetic. I felt quite pressured and let him but then never went back. It was very similar to what I think triggered all my dental fears. (First solo trip to dentist at 13 years old dentist refused to let me go till I'd had filling, couldnt even leave chair.)

Anyway to cut it short, only have about 20 teeth left as I've had many extractions over the years due to my lack of care and dental care. Now every single tooth in my mouth has something wrong ranging from small holes to sheared off at the gum.

What is likely to be the recomended course of action. Removing broken and badly holed teeth will leave me with around 12 teeth all with fillings. Really dont like this option as I only get about 2 years out of a filling and end up putting off getting the loose filling sorted resulting in another gumline tooth. Till I pluck up the nerve to go back.

Is it more likely I will have them all removed and get a set of falsies? If this is the course of action is it done by the dentist or at a hospital? I'm not too bothered if its the course of action best suited for me.

Just had the last tooth I thought was ok crack around an old filling and can feel the hole getting bigger by the week, cant really put this off much longer. Hence my attempt to pluck up the nerve to ring the dentist again.

Location, Liverpool UK

Andrew Healey is who we usually suggest to posters in the Liverpool area. Even if you ultimately opt for full extraction and dentures on NHS in hospital, he will be able to tell you what your options really are, rather than just what the NHS offers. Good luck.

He now also has a website: https://www.pallmalldental.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Should also mention my quite bad social anxiety hence talking on a forum much easier than ringing or speaking to someone about it.

Just want to know what likely treatment will be and what it entails to help me prepare for it.

I am not a dentist but 20 teeth is quite a few and I would personally want to keep as many teeth as possible. It would only be ethical to remove all your teeth and do a denture if they were beyond repair. Fillings done properly should not keep falling out.

I am not a dentist but 20 teeth is quite a few and I would personally want to keep as many teeth as possible. It would only be ethical to remove all your teeth and do a denture if they were beyond repair. Fillings done properly should not keep falling out.

At least 8 of the 20 are ruined and I've always had issues with fillings, its part of my trouble, if they last longer than 2 years I'm lucky. Not sure if its a 'thing' but I've always considered my teeth to be quite weak.

Trouble is when the fillings fall out it takes me so long to pluck up the courage to visit the chair that the teeth are usually unsalvageable.

I really do think whipping them all out will be the only option hence me wanting to know what the process is. Assuming any dental work is done under sedation is it something the dentist does or does it involve say a hospital visit. Is it a single visit or multiple? Do you have to wait for your gums to heal or do you get dentures on the spot?

I really do think whipping them all out will be the only option hence me wanting to know what the process is. Assuming any dental work is done under sedation is it something the dentist does or does it involve say a hospital visit. Is it a single visit or multiple? Do you have to wait for your gums to heal or do you get dentures on the spot?

I think the process depends where you go. To find out you need to make an appointment with either an NHS dentist or a private dentist. Some can do in-house i/v sedation, others can refer. There is a dental hospital in Liverpool - maybe that would be a low cost option.

Back