• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP! 4 Impacted wisdom teeth! I'm scared!

S

scaredofeverything99

I just went to the dentist, and she told me I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth. I am TERRIFIED! The idea of having my gums cut open, teeth chopped up and removed all at one scares me to death!!!! I am definitely going to be completely knocked out for it, I don't want to even be remotely aware of what's going on. But even the anesthesia scares me, since I HATE needles but I'm definitely going under. Also I don't want laughing gas. But even though it comforts me knowing I'll go under, wake up and it'll be over. But the recovery also scares me, the brusing, swelling, stiff jaw, bleeding, 2 week recovery from that stuff but then another 2-4 weeks for everything else. I'm so scared... I've already cried so much .. what was recovery like for you? Is the needle that bad?? I'm really scared so any reassurance will help...:cry::confused:

Last edited:
Hi I had my impacted wisdom teeth out 30 years ago. I had GA and I was terrified, I was cold with fear so much so they had trouble finding a vein to put the needle in. They were very good and they did eventually find a vein and when I woke up I was still very numb. I spent the first day and night sleeping as the GA knocked me out for a couple of days making me feel tired. I did get a stiff jaw and pain but I had pain meds that helped I also got bruising which looked much worse than it felt. I didn't really notice that the gums had been cut and stitched until it started healing which wasn't bad. I was terrified about having stitches before I had it done, but it wasn't bad and it was only annoying when they were becoming loose because they felt like they were pulling slightly and tickling. They were dissolving ones so I didn't need to go to get them out.

Withing a couple of weeks I was starting to feel normal again, the first few days weren't much fun but it wasn't bad. Try not to worry they are very good at what they do and you will be fine.

I was so afraid and stressed before I had mine out but so much better after. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

All the best to you, you will be okay :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

I just got 4 impacted wisdom teeth out last Friday. I only had local anesthesia. Getting the anesthesia was the most painful part of the whole thing for me but it only lasts a few seconds. The recovery is not bad either. The most painful part was for an hour or two after the anesthesia wore off. Other than that, I just can't eat any solid foods.

I was very worried going into it like youself, but it really is not bad. I was expecting the worse and it did not even get remotely close to that. There's probably nothing I can say to stop you from worrying so just do it and get it over with and you'll never have to look back.

Hi ,

I had mine out and all under local , I didn't have all done at the same time and only a few were impacted not all.. But for the most part, the needles didn't hurt at all and recovery was not bad.. the two my dentist did were the best... really I was shocked how easy it was when it was done! I agree the worry is the worst...!! and hard not to!!

Hey there!
I was so so scared just like you! I had my two bottom wisdom teeth removed on the 16th of this month. I went under IV sedation and had some laughing gas. It was super fast. the whole thing was like 30 minutes but felt like 2 minutes for me. The recovery process is what’s difficult. I know everyone is different but the pain I had was bad. That same day I fainted due to the anesthesia and was feeling so weak and nauseous. I had never fainted before so it was just an overall weird feeling. I swelled up like a chipmunk and my gums were so swollen (still a little). I was taking over 2000mg of Tylenol with Codeine to control the pain along with antibiotics. It was a lot especially on an almost empty stomach. I was eating mashed potatoes, ice cream, soup, and protein shakes. I’m still eating that but I’ve slowly introcused solid foods. It’s been a journey and I’m only on day 9. The swelling went down after like 6 days. The pain went down after like 6 days as well which was good because the meds were making me drowsy and dizzy. All I want now is for the holes to close up so I can finally eat whatever I want. I miss food so much :(
But honestly just do it and get it over with. The pain I was experiencing before I got them removed is now gone and now It’s just a recovery process.
Just relax and give yourself some time off after wards whether it be from school or work or both.
You can do it :)

Back