• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

20+ years of not seeing a dentist... is over

L

LetsDoThis

I am a 38yo male, who is a moderate smoker, and have not seen a dentist in 20+ years. I have been agonising over going to the dentist for the last 4 years or so since my wisdom tooth started hurting. Not for the pain, but for the embarrassment of such bad oral hygiene. My last actual checkup would have been in my late teens - although i did get a wisdom tooth out about 6 years ago (not a pleasant experience - the dentist was not very good!!).

Lately i have been very depressed and moody, and it was taking a little toll on my family and work as i have been short tempered (especially with my kids.. not mean, just quick to stop them from being kids). i have hated myself for this, and knew it was my teeth that was causing the problem.

My wisdom tooth has been causing me issues, had a few sore teeth, and being a smoker, i could see i was getting/have gum disease (but no bleeding gums). In the last year i have been brushing, flossing and mouth washing like it was going out of fashion. Multiple times a day, thinking i could fix this at home. But i was still depressed and constantly worried/stressed about it.

So 2 weeks ago i made the big move and booked an appointment with a dentist (after researching my local area, and reading this forum). I have been worried constantly, and last night could not sleep at all, as my appointment was today... i resigned myself to the fact that i need a few teeth pulled out, and the dentist was going to make an example of me and scold me.

So today i went... i was nervous as hell... my name was called.. and i nearly decided to go for the exit... but did not. As soon as i walked in - before i sat down - i told the dentist my nerves, my thoughts, and everything i thought i knew was going on in my mouth. She was excellent. She asked me questions, she listened and was very gentle. So i sat down... opened my mouth and closed my eyes. And then she did an examination and took some photos, some Xrays, discussed things with her assistant... rechecked things, etc. (when she rechecked i got a little nervous).

After all that (she explained things as she went along), she sat me up and told me everything and the plan to fix things. The result: i have a mild case of gum disease which i can treat with flossing and good cleaning, i need a clean, 2 fillings and 1 wisdom tooth extraction. i could not believe it..... i was expecting the worst, and this was all of it. She actually said "it is a miracle that my teeth are in the shape they are considering i have not been to the dentist in such a long time and was expecting much worse".

I am elated, relieved and so happy, i nearly cried as i walked out of the dentist's office. I have now booked 4 more appointments (2 weeks apart) to get everything done.. and the extraction is the last thing i will do in a few months. I will be a little nervous for the appointments... but at least i know where i stand, and i am getting help. And when my kids get home from school, i am going to hug and kiss them, and help them mess their room up!

Getting this initial consult over with is like the weight of the whole world being lifted off my shoulders, and now i have someone on my side to help me... Its a great feeling. its awesome.

Lastly: in the words of Mark Twain: Eat The Frog!

LetsDoThis, what a great success story! It's so inspiring and encouraging to read real success stories like this! Congratulations and thank you for sharing! I wish you all the best for all your upcoming appointments and would love to hear how it went!

Oh well done! Isn't it a great feeling? I don't know if you've seen my Success Story post but I've changed my Facebook profile picture to a big toothy grin. Never thought I'd be able to do that.

Over 20 years for me and the self-disgust was appalling. I had a stroke a couple of years ago and brain aneurysms too but never had a moment of fear like that which I felt at the dentists!

Pat on the back for you x

Well done for going to the dentist

Back