• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extracting Already Erupted Wisdom Teeth

G

Former Member
I hadn't been to the dentist in years -- partially due to dentist dread and partially because I could rationalize it by the fact that I'd had no problems... until I recently, when I broke a decaying lower wisdom tooth.

Knowing I couldn't put it off any longer, I finally went for a cleaning and consultation today. Luckily the entire rest of my mouth is OK, but not surprisingly, I was told the two lower wisdom teeth must come out due to the breakage and significant decay and the uppers because they'd be unopposed (specifically I was told 2 surgical extractions for the uppers and 2 partial bony extractions for the lowers).

The wisdom teeth have been fully erupted for several years, are fairly straight and have caused no problems until now. I'm extremely anxious about the procedure, but in chatting with the hygenist, she told me that erupted wisdom teeth (particularly the uppers) are simple, painless and quick to extract. The process shouldnt take more than 15-30 minutes.

My question is: is this truly as easy as the hygenist makes it sound? Can anyone relate any stories regarding this type of extraction? 99% of the stories I read/hear about wisdom teeth are horror stories of pain and complications.

Any info or experiences would be welcomed.

Oh, and thanks to all who post here... knowing I'm not the only one who dreads the dentist made it all the easier!

Once the wizzies are fully erupted then extractions are no more difficult than any other extraction, upper wizzies are usually a bit easier because they tend to have more conically shaped roots rather than the splayed out roots of other upper molars. Lowers can be the same.

However, you say that you have been told that you're having surgical extractions for the uppers and partial bony extractions for the lowers? That implies that the lowers are still half submerged in bone and the difficulty and post treatment symptoms are likely to be greater.

However, I haven't seen your x-rays or anything, so don't take my word for it. Go with the hygienist's opinion! :p

Hi,
Don't be put off by other people's bad experiences. If the dentist and hygienist are not concerned then there is probably nothing to worry about. You must fully trust your dentist's opinion and skill. Remember too that it is your mouth, and if you are really not happy during the procedure, there is no reason why you can't stop it, and then consider options with sedation etc.
I have taken many wizzies out of extremely anxious people and most tend to say "I can't believe that that was what I was so worried about!"- the horror stories are rare, but you will probably hear plenty of them. No one ever tells a story about having a wisdom tooth out or a root canal wich was no problem- people don't care- they want to hear the bad stuff!!!
So get the wizzies out and spread the word- it's not always a nightmare!
Kind Regards,
Mike

Hi,
Don't be put off by other people's bad experiences. the horror stories are rare, but you will probably hear plenty of them. No one ever tells a story about having a wisdom tooth out or a root canal wich was no problem- people don't care- they want to hear the bad stuff!!!
So get the wizzies out and spread the word- it's not always a nightmare!
Kind Regards,
Mike

When I read this, I thought how true that people generally only post about "horror stories". So, here is a post to buck the trend:

I had one wisdom tooth extracted about five years ago, And it was NO PROBLEM. Very easy, in fact much easier that a back molar extraction several years earlier. I seem to remember someone saying that wisdom teeth have shorter roots compared to back molars (but maybe I'm making that up).

I also had root canal treatment on a lower pre-molar 16 months ago, and it also was NO PROBLEM. No worse than an ordinary filling.

Thanks for all your comments!

Given that the one tooth is broken, I don't think I really have much option other than to just suck it up and get it over with ;D

Regarding being put under, ... I though about it, but the thought of that is probably more scary to me than being awake. I'm really, in general, medial-procedure-phobic, and the less serious the procedure seems (e.g., out-patient procedure, not being put under, etc.) the better.

I'm about to schedule this (probably for around April 1). I'll let you all know how it goes!

I'm about to schedule this (probably for around April 1). I'll let you all know how it goes!

Please do! Thanks for reporting back, and best of luck with your appointment :) :) :)

Please let me know how this goes...I just had mine brake off in a couple pieces as well. Same situation as you almost exactly in every other respect. :(

So, I promised to post back when it was all over. Today I went for my extractions at 8:30 am....

I hadn't needed any dental work since I was a kid (fillings) so I really didn't remember the feeling of nitrous nor the numbing. The assistant was worried that they wouldn't be able to give me nitrous because my heart was racing so fast, but the doctor said it was fine. The injections were absolutely painless, except for the tiniest pinch for two injections in what I believe was (felt like) the roof of my mouth. The nitrous was very pleasant. I was also surprised that the numb feeling really didnt bother me - it's almost pleasant. :)

After sitting for about 10 minutes to numb up, the dentist started with the lower right wisdom tooth. I did feel a lot of pressure, heard some cracking sounds and squirmed a bit. I was shocked when the first tooth was out in about a minute (maybe two)! The remaining teeth were about as easy. I only had to ask for about a 1 minute break before the last one because my jaw was getting tired from being open. All four teeth came out whole and no bone had to be cut. The dentist said it turned out to be a best-case scenerio.

I really couldn't beleive how quickly it was all over and how little discomfort there was. The actual procedure probably took not much more than 15-20 minutes. The entire visit wasn't more than 2 hours, which was mostly sitting waiting, going over instructions and being anxious!

I've just gotten home am still bleeding a bit but am in absolutely no discomfort (... for now). Have to get the hang of replacing the gauze, since I'm still apprehensive about touching/looking at my mouth, as well as it being difficult without having effective use of my tongue!

I've been given presecriptions for a pain killer, a steriod to prevent swelling, and an antibiotic.

I hate to sound cliche, but to this point, the wost part's been the anxiety. While I feared many aspects of this, from the drive to the office to the healing process and every possible complication, one thing I've tried to do is force myself to not worry about it all at once -- because it won't happen all at once -- I only deal with one thing at a time.

That's all for now. Will post more as it happens!

Well day 2 and still no pain (I'm starting to worry that something's wrong!) I only have the slightest soreness around the extraction sites, but not even worth taking an ibuprofin for, it's so mild. I've not taken any of the presecription pain-killers given to me.

I'm *extremely* glad I went through with this, rather than waiting for my broken tooth to become infected or the like and also thank all who offered input in this thread.

For the rest of you anxious about wisdom tooth extraction (particularly similar to my situation, 30 years old, already erupted, in fairly good position, badly decaying), what I've learnt is that, while some are, not all wisdom tooth extractions need be awful painful experiences to be feared (it's just that those are the only stories you hear, as Mike pointed out). To date, this has been better than most cancker sores I've had (save the weeks of anxiety and the racing heart).

Also, for those of you living in the Edison, NJ, USA area, from my experience I can highly recommend Dr. Michael Hart at Gentle Dental Care of Edison. His chairside manner was excellent with an extremely anxious patient.

Good luck to the rest of you, I hope your extractions go smoothly!

Unfortunately, I am another adult anticipating extraction of already erupted wisdom teeth. I am 45 with significant dental anxiety. I will go to the dentist, but I shake! After years of clenching, my jaw bones have become very dense which could make the extractions difficult. I only have the lower two. The uppers were yanked 20 years ago, which left the other two unopposed. That caused supraeruption which has really destroyed my bite. I also have TMJ Syndrome and worry that this condition could be made worse through the trauma of the yanking of the wizzies. If anyone else near my age has undergone extraction of erupted wizzies, I would certainly like to hear from you about your experience. My fear is being out of control if I have IV sedation. If no IV, I fear hearing everything. In the past, I required a special block for work on my lower left teeth in order to get numb. So, I do fear pain as well. I am just tired of waiting. I have had to put off getting the wizzies yanked for 3 months while I underwent treatment for the TMJ Syndrome. Now it is just a matter of getting the appointment with the oral surgeon and getting the deed done. This is the longest month of my life! :scared:

Well I have been IV sedated 2 times already once for 2 deep fillings and once for a extraction, if they dont put me out they wont get near me!! I am being put out again on Feb.2nd for 2 extractins and a filling, trust me is so worth the effort, I have had no memories of sounds or anything, the only thing is you need a driver and someone to be avalible for the day if you have kids. You'll be drowsy, my first time EVER being put out was for my 2 fillings, was woth it! :(

Back