• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

picking tooth shade for crown

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wanted to verify what peoples experience was or what dentists do.. I just went in today to pick a shade for my crown it was verified by 2 assistants and myself seemed to be the Right color.. is this something they typically do vs the dentist and would't the dentist want to make sure this is right? or just trust the assistants. recommendaton? Just checking what do you think?

I always select the shade and any modification that needs to be done on that shade. I happen to have excellent color vision and I even have good color memory where I don't even need a shade sample to know the shade many times. I have known dentists who were color blind and their staff helped them.

Thank you comfort dentist. I just felt like maybe the dentist would want to be somehow involved in it since it was a long process and would want to know but I did not get to see him in this appointment at all. He seems to be careful in everything else so i was surprised. even though this was a very quick 5 min visit with the assistants due to them forgetting to pick the shade on impression appointment. I am thinking maybe my dentist was busy with a more complicated procedure and trusted in his staff to make the decisions.. it just surprised me but maybe this is something they do everyday? what do you think of this scenario? so forget doing the shade, come back for quick shade pick , you would still pick it .? or send your staff to? if you were busy?

Thanks for your reply

I always select the shade and any modification that needs to be done on that shade. I happen to have excellent color vision and I even have good color memory where I don't even need a shade sample to know the shade many times. I have known dentists who were color blind and their staff helped them.

Wanted to follow up for anyone reading.. I think looking at my awful several shades I had , i was a bit emotional this day and realizing , my dentist really is best and I fully trust that he was busy doing something focused maybe on emergency and that this is very normal for assistants to do all the time and pretty easy.. I'm blessed to have good care not only dentist but the assistants as well they are fully competent and know if it was any question my dentist would have done any necessary work himself but it was just a quick thing.. when I look at my teeth I just get emotinal.. :p. :)

When I was having my root canal redone last year, I noticed my dentist three or four times were looking at her shade chart,

I've never picked my crown colors. The assistant has always done that or the dentist. Thankfully, all of mine look good. ;)

Back