• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Visit in 13 years and need MAJOR work

M

mommahutson84

So nervous. I haven't been in 13 years for a cleaning except to have some wisdom teeth removed that were infected. I have 3 smooth surface cavities on my bottom teeth that will either need fillings or root canals, not sure yet but they have been there for YEARS, no pain or anything. My gums are starting to recede and are painful at times. My bottom front teeth always hurt and are sensitive and my top teeth feel the same and are starting to shift it feels like at times. I haven't been the best at keeping up with my dental health but I have been flossing and brushing and using Listerine for the past 6 weeks, also using tea tree oil on my toothbrush when I brush. I am incredibly nervous but I am going for my first visit tomorrow morning at 7am to start a treatment plan. I know I probably have GUM DISEASE which is scary ( I am only 33). I am looking for advice on gum disease treatment bc I am terrified right now that I am going to lose my teeth :(

Good news! I went today, NERVOUS AS HELL, and turns out I just have gingivitis and 4 cavities! Going for a good cleaning Nov 14th and getting one tooth filled. Said with proper flossing and brushing and a good cleaning my gums will calm down and not appear to be receding and the "loose" feeling I have will go away! One of my cavities is CLOSE to the nerve but he thinks he can just fill it and not need a root canal. My anxiety is lowering and I am feeling a tad bit better about my oral health. Said for not going to the dentist in over 10+ years my gums and teeth really aren't that bad at all.

Good for you for getting in and getting the answers you need. Sounds like you are in much better shape than you thought! Gums can heal quickly with the proper treatment. If you dislike flossing (like me), I would encourage you to try a water flosser (water pik). I love it now, great for the gums.

Back