• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV sedation?

M

mirla

Background: I stopped going to the dentist 10 years ago because they started talking about removing my wizzies. I am much better now, thanks to a great dentist, but I am still petrified.

I need to have all 4 wizzies removed. My two uppers are very decayed. One of my lowers has a cavity, and the other lower came in sideways (biting surface is towards my molar) and a cyst has formed (oral surgeon said something about putting his instrument in the hole). I readily acknowledge that I can't properly clean these teeth, so I really agree that an extraction is the best way to go. Right now, I just want to make sure I have the best experience possible.

It sounds like the two uppers should be fairly straight-forward due to small roots, and the decayed lower isn't anything unusual, but that sideways one is a bit of a worry.

I think my dentist had said she thought I would be GA. The oral surgeon said during my consultation that he would use IV sedation.

I do not want to remember this surgery. Right now I fear that a bad experience with the extraction may undo much of the progress I've made in my dental fears during the last several months.

I am planning on asking my dentist her opinion again, because I trust her, but I'd like to hear what you have to say as well.

Thanks

If the oral surgeon is doing IV sedation, it may be a deeper form of IV sedation, and in all likelihood you wouldn't remember anything afterwards. The best idea might be to ask the oral surgeon directly if you will be aware of what's going on (he'd know much better what he's planning to do). There is a move away from GA these days towards IV sedation because the risks, while small, are not justifiable seeing how IV sedation has become such a safe and reliable option. A lot of people here have had their wizzies out with IV sedation and have reported not remembering the procedure afterwards :).

Best of luck!!

Hi

I went to the dentist 2 days ago. I have lost 6 x teeth as am so terrified of fillings / the drill that I avoid anything until the pain is unbearable, and I end up in an emergency appointment begging them to pull my tooth out!

I was booked in for 3 x fillings under IV sedation. I was ABSOLUTELY terrified - shaking, crying, thinking I was going to vomit. Even when he was putting the needle in my arm, I came so close to getting up and leaving!

I can honestly say though, it was the best thing I have ever done. I remember feeling a little bit warm, and saying 'my head feels heavy', and the dentist suggesting I rest back a bit. Then I just remember someone shining a blue light in my mouth. The session was 1 1/2 hours, but it felt more like 4 or 5 minutes!!

The next thing I know, I'm walking out to the car, laughing my head off!

I was so scared about every aspect of this appointment - not being in control, being in pain, being uncomfortable, the sound of the drill - but I would go so far as to say it was almost PLEASANT!! I felt lovely - felt no pain, no injections, no discomfort at all.

I have 2 more fillings to be done, and I'm actually looking forward to going back! This is after 15 years of an overhwhelming fear of the dentist.

Please, please don't worry - I lost sleep for weeks running up to this appointment - searching on forums, even watching youtube videos of sedation! It really, really was so straightforward, comfortable and easy.

Best of luck xx

My dental phobia is more than severe. Like, if I was told I had a dentist appointment in six months, I can and will cry everyday for six months and just dread about it.

So when I was told I had to get my wisdom teeth out, I thought I was actually just going to die. So I chose IV sedation, and like you, I wasn't happy I wasn't going all the way under.

But being under was actually pretty good! I don't remember, but I was apparently yelling for the first ten minutes (not out of pain, but out of fear because I felt nothing). I had a lot of work to do, the whole surgery was actually around four or five hours but it only felt like ten minutes to me. I faded in and out of consciousness, into a natural sleep-like state.

Overall, IV Sedation was a super positive experience. I remember little, the things I do remember are when the dentist/nurses were literally talking straight to me. If I ever had to do that much work again, I would choose IV.

Back