• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swelling post extraction, bone grafting and petrified with flipper while waiting for implant.

M

MomofSprinter

Swelling post extraction, bone grafting and petrified with flipper while waiting for implant.

Good morning all!!

A little background. I fell flat on my face when I was 7 years old and broke my upper front tooth. I have never liked the crowns I had over the years. My parents couldn't afford to care for it when I was young and I was often teased because of it. The dentists I did see as a kid were mean to me because I was petrified as a kid and this started my dental fear. I remember one screaming at me at 8 years old. :( As I grew, I did what I could afford to keep it crowned. I am near 50 now, next month, and for a few years I have put off what I have been meaning to do. I should say, also numerous dentists have put off. Every time I'd mention fixing it, I'd be told we will do it later... so between working my tail off and frequently travelling for work and dentists blowing it off, I always put it off until I got sick of the shifting in my front tooth and crown and found a better dentist. My front tooth and crown had shifted outward.

On Wednesday morning, I had the extraction, a bone graft and was given a flipper. All in preps for the implant. At first, I had minimal pain but last night, 36 hours later, swelling increased and sometimes still a little blood. I have been doing everything instructed as I want this to take! The pain is there but manageable with the Motrin. I have not needed to take the Vicodin. I just want to know if this is normal? I go for suture removal on Wednesday. And I am also on antibiotics.

Which brings me to the flipper. I have had chronic dreams all my life about my broken tooth. Always a dream that the crown would come off in my sleep and I would swallow it which then reveals the nasty black half tooth underneath. This is a real fear of mine!! Having no tooth there scares the crap out of me. Even though the flipper makes it look good but I fear that coming out or having to take it out while I eat. That scares me in public. I also fear breaking it at work and being stuck without a tooth. Is there another procedure that can be done, like a temp bridge or something while I wait for the bone graft to take?

Thank you so much for any info or help.

Re: Swelling post extraction, bone grafting and petrified with flipper while waiting for implant.

Good morning all!!

A little background. I fell flat on my face when I was 7 years old and broke my upper front tooth. I have never liked the crowns I had over the years. My parents couldn't afford to care for it when I was young and I was often teased because of it. The dentists I did see as a kid were mean to me because I was petrified as a kid and this started my dental fear. I remember one screaming at me at 8 years old. :( As I grew, I did what I could afford to keep it crowned. I am near 50 now, next month, and for a few years I have put off what I have been meaning to do. I should say, also numerous dentists have put off. Every time I'd mention fixing it, I'd be told we will do it later... so between working my tail off and frequently travelling for work and dentists blowing it off, I always put it off until I got sick of the shifting in my front tooth and crown and found a better dentist. My front tooth and crown had shifted outward.

On Wednesday morning, I had the extraction, a bone graft and was given a flipper. All in preps for the implant. At first, I had minimal pain but last night, 36 hours later, swelling increased and sometimes still a little blood. I have been doing everything instructed as I want this to take! The pain is there but manageable with the Motrin. I have not needed to take the Vicodin. I just want to know if this is normal? I go for suture removal on Wednesday. And I am also on antibiotics.

Which brings me to the flipper. I have had chronic dreams all my life about my broken tooth. Always a dream that the crown would come off in my sleep and I would swallow it which then reveals the nasty black half tooth underneath. This is a real fear of mine!! Having no tooth there scares the crap out of me. Even though the flipper makes it look good but I fear that coming out or having to take it out while I eat. That scares me in public. I also fear breaking it at work and being stuck without a tooth. Is there another procedure that can be done, like a temp bridge or something while I wait for the bone graft to take?

Thank you so much for any info or help.

Hi there,

I had extensive bone grafting done in September and I swelled up three days after the surgery and it took about a week for it to go down. Also I had discomfort for about a week and a half.

I've had a flipper before and I know how flimsy it feels. I recommend practicing chewing with it carefully at home until you get the hang of it and feel more confidentant about chewing in public. Also, take it out to sleep.

Re: Swelling post extraction, bone grafting and petrified with flipper while waiting for implant.

How is your bone grafting going? I've worked myself in to a tizzy in fear that the graft won't take. Last night I slept like crap! Do they check in between extraction and month 4 to see if it is coming along?

I'm really not supposed to be eating with my flipper in while at home but have been just to try to get used to it. Today it fits a little better. The last 2 nights were pure torture, especially on the roof of my mouth. I think I need it loose, not so much a tight fit. I'll see if the dentist can make adjustments when I go back on Wednesday. Swelling seems to have subsided some. Today I did not take the prescription motrin but opted for 600 MG of the over the counter motrin. Still feel some discomfort but no throbbing pain today.

I hear ya on the weight loss. I'm down 4 pounds since Wednesday. Eggs, protein homemade fruit shakes, pasta and soup have been my staple.

Just checking in for a late night update before going to sleep. This is mostly for those reading or looking for answers while dealing with something similar. :)

I visit the dentist again tomorrow to have my stitches removed. I take my very last antibiotic tomorrow morning before going in and that's that!. I never did take my painkillers just the prescription motrin 800 and only that for 3 days. I switched to otc motrin after that. I bled for 2 days. Nothing major. Just drip drop. But the tea bags trick worked to stop it.

I sucked it up and tried my hardest to get used to this dang flipper. I was told to take it out at home during meals and sometimes I will or will not. I do need to get used to eating with its especially since I'll wear it at work. It isn't too bad. I just learned to take small bites and chew slowly. It needs adjustment though and that will get fixed tomorrow.

I will tell you this. I have put off fixing this crown for years. As well as numerous dentists. The tooth is gone. And I am left with this flipper. But I have taken so many selfies the last few days because I can't believe the difference! My dentist has no idea the boost to my self esteem he just provided and it's so much so that I cry a little sometimes. I'm going to ask for a temp Maryland Bridge though and if he can't do, then a back up flipper because I fear breaking the one I have. But I smile a lot now and it feels so good to do so. Can't wait for the implant!

That's my update for now. :)

Just checking in for a late night update before going to sleep. This is mostly for those reading or looking for answers while dealing with something similar. :)

I visit the dentist again tomorrow to have my stitches removed. I take my very last antibiotic tomorrow morning before going in and that's that!. I never did take my painkillers just the prescription motrin 800 and only that for 3 days. I switched to otc motrin after that. I bled for 2 days. Nothing major. Just drip drop. But the tea bags trick worked to stop it.

I sucked it up and tried my hardest to get used to this dang flipper. I was told to take it out at home during meals and sometimes I will or will not. I do need to get used to eating with its especially since I'll wear it at work. It isn't too bad. I just learned to take small bites and chew slowly. It needs adjustment though and that will get fixed tomorrow.

I will tell you this. I have put off fixing this crown for years. As well as numerous dentists. The tooth is gone. And I am left with this flipper. But I have taken so many selfies the last few days because I can't believe the difference! My dentist has no idea the boost to my self esteem he just provided and it's so much so that I cry a little sometimes. I'm going to ask for a temp Maryland Bridge though and if he can't do, then a back up flipper because I fear breaking the one I have. But I smile a lot now and it feels so good to do so. Can't wait for the implant!

That's my update for now. :)

I’m happy you’re doing well and smiling more! To answer your question, I do not see my dentist again until January so I won’t have any way of knowing ir the grafting took well until then. That said, I can already see and tell a difference from where I was before the surgery so I’m optimistic. I’m doing my best not to even think about the dentist till after Christmas, I need a break from the stress.

I'm not too far behind you then. I go in the beginning of Feb to see if my graft took.

My dentist did give me a temp Maryland Bridge. I have the flipper for backup. I'm probably going to need to crown the adjacent tooth next to 8 ( the littler one) so he was OK with doing the procedure even though he didn't really want to. I like the bridge better than the flipper because I can eat better but still not use it to bite sandwiches. I forgot one night at a restaurant and ordered a sandwich then had to eat it with a fork and knife! Lol.

In 2 weeks I go back for root scaling. Had teeth cleaned last week before bridge install. Next year I'll move to crowning several molars.

Back