• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared for implant surgery

W

Wolfsrule18

So last month I ended up losing 22 teeth and getting partials. I'm getting implants in January. Though I absolutely can't wait (teeth that WONT fall out when I talk lol) I'm also scared out of my mind. Without going into to much detail during the surgery getting my teeth out I had a allergic reaction and almost died. I spent 18 days in the hospital. So while I'm excited for 'permanent' teeth again. After what happened last time I'm also a nervous wreck.

So last month I ended up losing 22 teeth and getting partials. I'm getting implants in January. Though I absolutely can't wait (teeth that WONT fall out when I talk lol) I'm also scared out of my mind. Without going into to much detail during the surgery getting my teeth out I had a allergic reaction and almost died. I spent 18 days in the hospital. So while I'm excited for 'permanent' teeth again. After what happened last time I'm also a nervous wreck.

Hi there! I want you to know I'm in the same boat! I had all my teeth extracted in September along with extensive bone grafting to prepare my mouth for implants. My appointment to have another 3D scan to map out where the implants will go is in January so I will probably get my 12 implants in February. I'm okay now and I guess I healed well and quickly but for two weeks I was in absolute hell pain wise and I'm so scared it will hurt that bad or worse again! I have heard that implants don't typically offer anything more than discomfort which can be handled and it only lasts a week maybe a week and a half, still I am nervous.

I have only an upper denture right now for cosmetics and to assist in eating. I look fine but I can't stand it that my diet is very limited and if I don't glue them in, my denture won't stay put for talking or eating. So I've adapted as much as is possible but it really sucks living like this. That will be the only thing that will drive me into "the chair" again. I had IV Sedation but unfortunately did experience brief awareness and some pain during my last surgery so of course I'm scared it will happen again. Still I know I can't go on like this indefinitely, I've lost 33 pounds which is good but I want to be able to eat again. Maybe you and I can be a support to each other since we are in the same boat.

Hi there! I want you to know I'm in the same boat! I had all my teeth extracted in September along with extensive bone grafting to prepare my mouth for implants. My appointment to have another 3D scan to map out where the implants will go is in January so I will probably get my 12 implants in February. I'm okay now and I guess I healed well and quickly but for two weeks I was in absolute hell pain wise and I'm so scared it will hurt that bad or worse again! I have heard that implants don't typically offer anything more than discomfort which can be handled and it only lasts a week maybe a week and a half, still I am nervous.

I have only an upper denture right now for cosmetics and to assist in eating. I look fine but I can't stand it that my diet is very limited and if I don't glue them in, my denture won't stay put for talking or eating. So I've adapted as much as is possible but it really sucks living like this. That will be the only thing that will drive me into "the chair" again. I had IV Sedation but unfortunately did experience brief awareness and some pain during my last surgery so of course I'm scared it will happen again. Still I know I can't go on like this indefinitely, I've lost 33 pounds which is good but I want to be able to eat again. Maybe you and I can be a support to each other since we are in the same boat.

I can definitely try to help you! I understand what you mean about limited diet. Though I'm slowly adapting and can even eat chicken now.

Back