• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared of being numb and the bleeding for 21 teeth to be extracted

C

Cnj

Hello everyone,

I’m new and this is my first post and I truly hope someone can help me. I am completely terrified of the dentist I shake and cry before I even arrive, I work myself into a huge panic. Not once have I had a “good” experience with any dentist. I currently have 9 teeth on top and 12 on bottom and I’m needing to get dentures. My main fear right now is the extractions and bleeding. I’m terrified of being numb and bleeding, it puts me in a panic. Back in February I had to have an upper sorta front tooth pulled, it wasn’t the main front tooth but the one next to it was removed and when the oral surgeon numbed me my nose got numb and it felt as if I couldn’t breathe..and of course I panicked, cried and told my husband I couldn’t do it. He had to slowly calm me in order for the oral surgeon to pull it..it bled for about an hr and half and that to me was very very scary. Yes even tho I’ve had other teeth removed it’s the numbing that scares me the most. But in this situation I’m currently in I’m not sure if my entire face will be numb including my head and how about the lower extractions? I hate the feeling of not being able to swallow and I don’t think that I can do a full mouth extraction in one sitting either. I’m also very scared of any medication so I won’t ask for any either (I almost died from taking a pill) that is exactly why I’m so scared.. any help from anyone that can tell me what won’t I feel in my face for this numbing will help me tremendously and maybe also how much blood should one have for 21 teeth extraction? I just don’t want to go to the ER in panic because I’m bleeding if it’s considered normal timeframe.. I fully understand everyone’s experience is highly different and each to there own, BUT some tips and advice will be truly appreciated ?

Can you not ask for the extractions to be spaced out, like top extractions during one appointment and bottom on another? Being numb doesn't actually affect breathing, but lacking the normal sensory input from breathing often makes people feel like they can't breathe and of course that makes them panic. It's not an uncommon reaction, but very alarming. One tip is to focus deeply on how breathing feels to your lungs and diaphragm. Practice deep breathing - you can look up guides online. Become very familiar with the sensation of air pushing out your lungs and stomach. You can then try doing this when you're numb, and focusing on those same sensations and trying to breathe slowly. This may help your anxiety a little.

As for bleeding, it's normal for some blood to ooze out for some time after extractions. The first few minutes may involve more noticeable bleeding, and then it slows down, but it is likely to bleed a little for a few hours. It's no reason to be alarmed. Have some water to sip afterwards. This will help your mouth feel cleaner. Don't rinse though, as you want to let the sockets clot as normal. The bleeding usually comes from the gums and not the sockets. The human body has blood "spare" as it were, and we're quite equipped to handle minor bleeding from surgery. It's not pleasant, and I understand that it scares you, but I promise you it's fine.

:hug4:

Thank you Sevena!! I will definitely ask about the extractions being spaced out. I honestly would prefer it to be done in one sitting so I don’t have to endure the numbing effect over and over. This is going to be so hard for me to handle and I’m just plain scared. I really need this done and somehow I need to overcome this and I don’t know if I can. :shame:.. I appreciate your tips for breathing as well, I will try to practice and see if it helps me relax..

Thanks again!

Back