• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dentist appointment after 7+ years!!

G

Glitterbunny

I've been a long time lurker here...! I always wished I had the courage to MAKE THAT FIRST APPOINTMENT but I would feel sweaty and anxious and like fainting every time I even looked at potential dentists! Both my top and bottom right molars were broken really badly, a lot of my enamel flaked off (revealing bits of brown underneath) and the right part of my gums were in pain. I would stalk Instagram celebrities before falling asleep at night, wishing I had their beautiful pearly white smiles... it spiraled me into a weird depression that I was too ashamed to open up to anyone about.

I finally made the appointment after the pain became unbearable!! I was going in, thinking I needed to get a partial denture (tip: don't diagnose yourself beforehand!!! I feel like it makes you less likely to want to go) and that I was going to lose all my teeth or something...

Turns out, I just needed those two molars extracted, 5 crowns, A LOT of fillings, my 4 wisdom teeth taken out, and a deep cleaning...!

My dentist let me know that there was going back and that she could get me that smile I really wanted. I have a slight gap in my two front teeth that cannot be revealed through pictures but you can tell in person. She even offered to close that gap up for me since she needed to do some work on my two front teeth!!

I am SO RELIEVED I went! I'm dreading the needles and the procedures... but it's totally worth no longer crying about it or feeling so alone in my ~dental depression~.

I'm posting this to encourage other lurkers to make that first appointment! Find someone you like! Yelp them! Ask around! Honestly, things feel so much better after making that first appointment!

I also wanted to take a second to thank you all for your encouraging posts, your success stories, your journals, and your ongoing support! Dental phobia is NOT easy, NOT AT ALL, but it does get better :) Smile on my friends!!

thank you for Sharing!! This is encouraging to hear your story and how things went!!! :)

Thanks for sharing, I also look a photos wish I had perfect teeth I hate my gums and teeth, even though I go to the dentist every 3-4 months. I want to sort out my teeth to make it easier for me.

Congratulations! We always make it worse in our mind then it really is.

Back