• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

At wits end and no longer know what to do to get these abcesses out...

P

PinkHairedCoder

Hi... I'm Regina, I'm 27 and I have had abscess teeth for 10 years now. My top canine teeth fell out, the molars need to be pulled, the wisdom teeth need to be pulled top and bottom, and one molar on bottom. I've had a fistula from gum to roof of mouth, my bottom wisdom tooth on the right is so painful that I get stabbing pains up my jaw into my ear. The only reason I am not dead after this long is because I make appointments intent on getting work done, only to end up bolting, but get antibiotic to keep the infection off and on... I just finished Clindamycin however and ... it didn't work. The infections are getting worse. In cold and rain they flair up to the point Tylenol 3 and other stuff don't help.

...I don't know what to do anymore. I just got back from an appointment with a dentist that was really good, he told me unlike the others he wouldn't have to cut out the extractions, he could elevator them out to relieve my fear of cutting... I tried to. I really did try both Monday, and then again today. Monday my gag reflex kept going up and I was afraid of not breathing and the numbing needle. Today I tried the nitrous for the first time in 10 years and it did ... absolutely nothing. I felt cold, fingers tingled a bit but I was still alert and panicked. I thought it might be that the mask was loose and I got none, but they insisted it was working. Either way I had to pay for the appointment instead of my insurance because he got mad that I wasted his time again... I don't think he's going to let me come back even if I do manage so it's back to the fear of cutting with other dentists.

I just... I don't know what to do. I'm a hypochondriac (officially diagnosed) as well so I'm afraid of anything deadly, medical, or silent killers and I KNOW I'm killing myself by keeping this infection. But I'm at my wits end. I don't know if laser dentistry can extract teeth, but even if it can I'm on Medicaid and can't pay for it.

I can't go under because of a traumatizing experience back when I was 17.I had 13 cavities that needed to be done and was going to have them done. But grandma thought I wouldn't be able to sit there so she apparently called ahead and had them 'set it up'. I was sitting there in the patient room and read the sign 'anesthesiologist' asked the lady what that meant, she said it's to put me to sleep, I walked out. The lady and grandma coaxed me back in by saying it was optional.. So I sat there, then a dentist appeared. Then another one, and another one, like 8 dentists int he room, I jumped up, they mobbed me, I kicked and screamed, and cursed and finally one stabbed me in the leg with a tranquilizer that got me to fall to the floor, then they dragged me in the back, started the IV. All I remember after that was it was all white, that then fell into black, then I SAW myself, my own body like I was watching from a TV. Woke up, uvula was swollen and I was puking up blood and couldn't eat for a week. Now I don't trust dentists, anesthesia, or not dying in the operating chair....

I'm also afraid if they do pull them, maybe the infection infected the jaw now that it's gone this long and I'll die of sepsis from it once there's wounds close to it. Or they'll pull the tooth and the infection will go into the bloodstream or down my throat to my heart and I'll die, or I'll be allergic to the 3 numbing agents he wants to use (a total of 9 shots????!!) ... Just....

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them because at this point they're either going to kill me from sepsis, brain abscess, or pain. I have to get them out somehow..

Last edited:
That is insane that you would have been "jumped", and put under against your will! No wonder you have such trust issues!

I think conscious sedation might work well for you. Basically you would get a lot of Valium or something similar, to take away your anxiety. There are dentists that specialize in working with very anxious patients, I would try to find one of those, even if you have to travel a ways (would probably need a ride home though).

Good luck, please keep working hard on this, it is a very serious thing as I'm sure you know by now.

I'm unsure what to do now. I looked up the dentalvibe and thought that'd work, but I called the dentist that uses it around here and she said because it's a wisdom tooth (even though the last dentist told me he could get it out with the elevator method) that I would need an oral surgeon. I called dentists a ways from here that handle anxiety and have oral sedation, they also said they would refer to oral surgeon. But the oral surgeons don't do oral sedation or work with anxiety around here. So it keeps becoming a looped end.

I don't know what to do now.:cry:

Any idea why the nitrous didn't work? The mask was loose and there were gaps between my face and I researched that and it said it might be diluted by that. But when I told the dentist that he told me he'd been doing this 20 years and knew better and didn't want to work with me or believe me at all. Just get mad that his time was wasted.

The dentist was very wrong about knowing if the nitrous was escaping or not. I used to have the same issue, until my dentist finally suggested using a child's nose piece and after that, not much escaped and it all went into my system.

How do I argue with him when he thinks he knows better and is arrogant and also won't let me come back for wasting his time? He's the only dentist/oral surgeon around here that takes medicaid and could get it out without cutting.

Back