• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swelling after root canal?

N

nicnac

I had the first 2 stages of a root canal done today. Before the treatment, the tooth was extremely sore, sensitive to pressure and i couldn't eat on it. Anyhow i had the root canal procedure this morning and now tonight I've noticed the jaw around the tooth feels very sore and there is swelling in the area where the gum meets the cheek - it is considerably swollen compared to the non affected side. The tooth is still throbbing and very tender, so i can't make do without painkillers yet as the pain is still quite strong. Is this kind of swelling and pain normal from the first 2 stages of a root canal? I'm very nervous as my dentist said the root canal will help relieve the pain, but it's still very painful. I'm going to ring him in the morning but in the mean time thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any help.

After a root canal procedure, you may have some swelling, although I never did. As far as pain, you should have some pain with pressure for a day or two but remember that every is different.

I am not a dentist but have had six root canals.

Back