• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help ease my paranoid brain

B

Bran

Hello! I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out this previous Monday (11/13/2017). I'm 31, the bottom two had decayed (massively the dentist and surgeon both remarked), but with no infection or abscess present.

The procedure went fairly easily in itself, which is great, because I was certainly stressed about it. I did end up with dry sockets that I went in and had them treat, and after two days, so far so good there.

My concerns lie with the upper extractions. The stitches came out late the night of the 17th (last night). Is that early? What is the likelihood of my bloodclots coming out and developing dry sockets in them too? I ask because its really hard to see more than a hole with a dark blackish area at the bottom of it with the dental mirror I bought to look up at them. And because even though I don't smoke, haven't used any straws, didn't spit, rinsed gently, I still ended up with dry sockets on the lower extraction sites. I can only assume it is because my swallowing has a pretty strong suction. Is it possible for them to come out and to have dry sockets happen still at this point for them?

Secondly, about a sinus communication. Though this is the time of year for me to have sinus issues, I've been dealing with a lot of drainage and mucus in my mouth it seems since the surgery. Is this a possible sign of something like this happening? I haven't had any issues with nosebleeds. When I breathe in through my nose I can feel it in the back of my mouth, or maybe my throat. Its hard to tell. And I haven't had any water coming out through my nose during drinking or rinsing. Well - I did turn my head upside down when I was rinsing once, and it did come out of my nostril then, but I'm not sure if that proved anything.

So after reading that, obviously I'm struggling here with rampant paranoia about what I'm going through, and would really, really appreciate any words of wisdom that could be shown my way.

I had my wisdoms out a week before you (the 7th of November) and I don't think the stitches coming out at this point is too soon. I actually don't know when mine came out but the advice from my surgeon suggested it would be around 7- 10 days for them to dissolve/come out. So that sounds about right for you.

Like you, I cannot see anything to do with my top ones but I have heard that dry socket in the upper extractions is highly unlikely. I was concerned myself because my upper left has been much more sensitive (although not overly painful) than the other 3.

I had my follow up appointment today and he said it was all looking good. I understand how agonising it is to have to wait for the follow up appointments though!

I can't really comment on the sinuses issue. I also wondered the same for myself because I have had sinus pain on one side but no other symptoms so I'm hoping it's just a strange side effect of getting them out.

Back